Entry Level LA Salary for Career Changer

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums PORTFOLIO & RESUME Entry Level LA Salary for Career Changer

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Clay Carter
    Participant

In an entry level landscape architecture interview I was asked what salary I expect to earn after having completed my graduate degree.  I am a career changer with 20 years experience managing a business of about 100 employees so while I am new to the field–I do bring management and business experience to the table.  What sort of entry level salary might I expect to earn?

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

We all look at our own skill sets and try to add it all up and place a value on it. When someone else looks at us, they add up what they value and discard the rest.

Sometimes what is an extra value to us is a negative to someone else. Such things that would indicate that you would move on to a firm that would value those extra skills, or a skill set that would indicate a high liklihood that you’ll be a direct competitor in the near future could work against you.

It comes down to what job you are going to be filling. If the job is not equal to your skill set, you can’t expect to be paid for all of it. I would assume that you’d be looking for an intern position in which case you should expect intern pay. The extra experience may give you an advantage in getting that opportunity over others and it should move you up the ladder faster, but I think the realistic answer to the question is whatever the current pay is for interns. … I don’t know what that is, but I would expect it to be about $40k.

Rodney Kearl
    Participant

One thing that you might consider is the income qualification rule of thumb used by leasing agents in New York. Their calculation is that a tenants annual gross income should be 50 times the monthly rent for an apartment. You might do an online search for an appropriate apartment for you in that specific city and multiply the monthly cost of that apartment by 50. That number would be the minimum number you quote.

Clay Carter
    Participant

Good idea.  Thank you for your input.

Clay Carter
    Participant

Andrew:  Thank you for this great input.

nca
    Participant

clay, shoot me a message when you get a chance.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register