erosion control

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    jenny janis
    Participant

Hi All,

We’re planting on a 30% – 40% slope and I’m wondering if there’s a geotextile that anyone can recommend to stabilize the slope while groundcover takes root? Some say the geotextile won’t work that well…any opinions or experience you can share?
    Thanks,
    jenny
    Geoffrey Campbell
    Participant

You should check out Enkamat, the root system grows in the mat it’self. It’s been highly recommended to me in the past.
    good luck.

jenny janis
    Participant

Thanks! Looks promising. Have you or anyone else used coir mats (coconut fiber) for the same situation as temporary erosion control which will biodegrade?

david j bockman
    Participant

Hi Jenny, I have to suggest Curlex Erosion Control Blanket, it’s manufactured in a variety of specifications but the basic ingredient is aspen fibers woven into a non-directional matrix.

jenny janis
    Participant

This product looks good….the fibers seem to have the same form as the Enkamat which has a structure that seems like it’ll hold onto soil while allowing plants to grow through. Thanks!

david j bockman
    Participant

Oh you’re welcome, and yes that’s the idea. It’s used heavily in grass applications because the blades have no problem finding their way through. Plant plugs or even larger plants can be installed through the blanket by cutting an ‘X’ shaped incision in the blanket, pulling the flaps back, planting in, and then replacing the flaps around the plant. I use the large metal ‘U’ pins commonly seen in sod applications to pin the blanket down every few feet. Hope this helps,

Dave

p.s. I have used coir fiber but to my knowledge there is no domestic production of that material, so I tend to discourage its use as needlessly wasteful in terms of carbon footprint.

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

One thing that you have to be careful of is that you have full contact with the slope surface or water gets under it and erodes material down hill which then gets deposited where contact between the mat and the surface slow the water. It can be a mess.

Jute netting also works well, but with bigger openings depending what you are using for planting material.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register