File Under – NASTY

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Heather Smith
    Participant

.Homelessness unfortunately has become an acceptable lifestyle choice to many (likw any bad behavior, it is unknowingly supported by those who tolerate/enable it).

What an incredibly sad and ignorant statement. I have not visited all these great parks you are discussing. But I have been homeless as a child. My birth mother and her brother have been homeless off and on for years due to mental illness.Have you considered that the criminal activity that surrounds the homeless population is most threatening to…them? That death on the streets is quite common, as well as beatings, rape and robbery? That these people are someone’s mother, father, sister, brother, daughter or son? This conversation disgusts me.

It isn’t hard to design an area that excludes the homeless. Check out Vancouver BC…a place that I have seen praised on here. The gentrification of their neighborhoods is impressive…until you go one street over and have to hopscotch over used needles.

Rather then making blanket judgments about individuals and their right to sit next to you at the park(I mean you don’t want that smell ruining your Latte’) consider why we have such rampant drug, alcohol and mental problems within our society.

No people shouldn’t be able to shit in a fountain. What SHOULD we do…put gates everywhere and give people the sniff test? You are going to find homeless anywhere there are religious organizations or in the case of Vancouver a public library allowing them to use restrooms…because you know…they like flushing toilets too. 

It is a lifestyle choice for many, and these people take up the resources for those who really need the help as they cannot help themselves (mentally ill), there is usually family that will take them in once their situation is brought to light.

I can see you are an expert in this. I guess I should bring my delusional mother to live with my children…I mean she couldn’t get it together for me…I am sure she would make a great grandmother. Here is a link for you: http://www.pbs.org/now/shows/526/homeless-facts.html

Many people self medicate and yes become addicted. Recommended reading for you, Grapes of Wrath.

Heather Smith
    Participant

I wonder why there is the assumption that the homeless are the majority of people using this tail as a toilet? I live in a small college town…I certainly don’t let my children go wading in the fountain where god knows how many inebriated college students are taking a piss.

Heather Smith
    Participant
    Tosh K
    Participant

Ha… I think I know that park you speak of… from a rather awkward personal experience.

I find the rather subtle curved surfaces of OLIN’s benches to be unfriendly for long term sleeping (it felt like Columbus Circle is similar if not same as Washington Memorial)

It is rather sad that the city didn’t consider this, on a another note there is a nice park nearby that is well designed (though not a plaza).

Tosh K
    Participant

Let’s add a few of Walter Hood’s work in Oakland as contemporary examples.

I agree with Olmsted and Hood on the need for public landscapes to embody a democratic society, though I must say there were (probably still are) some parks in Tokyo where some residents have decided to stake out their turf and fight to retain their claim which is a tad exclusionary from the other end.  The issue for me is public safety (and sanitation) both perceived and real.

We do have private parks and gardens at a pay for admission after all…

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register