final year project

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    samwel kimani
    Participant

which is the best and the simplest method to use when choosing the type of project to work on in the final year?

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

1.) logistic practicality – make sure that whatever project that you choose is one that you have direct physical access to in order to research, can gain interviews or other direct contact with those involved in similar projects, and that you have the equipment and ability to execute whatever the product of your project is.

2.) personal development – chose a project that is going to somehow make you better and/or more marketable when you leave school.

3.) ownership – you need to do something that makes the project yours rather than a report or repetition of something done by others.

4.) gradabilty – it has to be something that the professor(s) can appreciate, value, and score. Like it or not, your professor  is your client and you must satisfy your client. If you don’t learn to satisfy your client, you’ll get nowhere.

Heather Smith
    Participant

Also, I would think portfolio piece for future employers. I read your post about not seeking employment but gathering experience. I am going for a purely logical standpoint. Be very GIS heavy…pick a project that is very science based and highlights the skills you have gained collecting, analyzing, and creating GIS data. The two classmates of mine, besides the Canadians, that have/had professional jobs both use GIS. One spent the summer setting coordinates and putting them into a GIS format, the other is working water rights for the State of Montana. Another graduate from last year is currently working for a GIS company in Sandpoint…not glamorous…but still relevant experience. One of my professors Toru Otawa, always told us GIS was important…he is correct. The problem with not finding employment…is that you also don’t gain experience. They go hand in hand. I would definitely pick a project that highlights those skills rather then being design heavy. Good luck!

Thomas J. Johnson
    Participant

Don’t get stuck taking a 3 credit “math-mod” class your final semester that should theoretically require a 9 hour commitment a week but in fact requires a 40hr/wk commitment in order to pass… on-line/digital classes are a scam… they are profitable for the school at the expense of the students education… I passed but I don’t remember a damn thing other than sin_curves look cool… and it completely screwed my last LA semester… OK, Rant over…

samwel kimani
    Participant

i must appreciate you for your contribution to my topic and i am sure that your ideas shall help me greatly.

samwel kimani
    Participant

i have learnt a bit of GSI and i think due to your inspiration i will take more intrepidity in it. thanks.

samwel kimani
    Participant

thank you so much .

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register