Firms in Beijing

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jofelia E. Tuburan
    Participant

Hello there! =D

Can you suggest some LA firms in China that accept interns?

Thanks!=D 

Hi,

I suggest following firms – all in Beijing.  There are far more firms in Shanghai.

Earth Asia Design Group

Ecoland

AGER

ATA Lawrence Group

Turenscape

Regards

Jessie He Hong
    Participant

BAM, AECOM

Daniel Radai
    Participant

Could anyone suggest some in Shanghai, or Hong Kong? Thanks!:)

EcoLand

ida
    Participant

AOYA Design Group http://www.aoya-hk.com/. They haven’t updated their english website, but here are the links to their jobs posting for landscape design, they are currently looking for all levels from entry to senior positions.

http://www.aoya-hk.com/en3/yjs.php

http://www.aoya-hk.com/en3/job_detail.php?id=14

mauiBob
    Participant

Watch out for China!!!

I know someone (Landscape Architect) from Honolulu who worked there in 2010. Things were going smoothly for 5 months, then suddenly the firm stopped paying him. To his fault, he kept working and was explained he would be paid soon. It went on for 2 months and he finally gave up. Where could he go and who to seek for advice? Huge language barrier and China isn’t exactly court friendly especially to foreigners. (Fast forward) Over a year later, he still waits for the unpaid two months of professional service! The firm didn’t even give him a ticket home as they had promised in the original contract of round trip airline tickets.

ida
    Participant

Ouch, yes, you should not work till you get your paycheck!

You do want to be careful there especially working at the smaller local Chinese firms. A word of advice, if they don’t offer to get you a work permit, then that should raise alarm bells and you should be very cautious. However, there are many international offices in China and large corporate Chinese firms that respect international law and do things properly.

I worked in China for 3 years. My first job there was at a local Chinese architecture office (I won’t name who). They didn’t offer me a work permit, so I had less power to ask for things. There were times my pay was delayed at that office, and many of my former colleagues left not getting their last paycheck or not getting the full amount.

My second job, however, was the opposite. I had the proper work permit, contracts were legit, pay was on time, they had a proper HR staff to take care of you, and I even got health benefits. It operated like a real business should.

So yes be careful if you decide to work in China (or even in the US), research the company and ask questions before you accept a job, and be careful if the company says they cannot offer you a work permit the first week you start working for them. If they don’t, it means they work under the table and you may have issues while working for them.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register