freeware illustrator-type software

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums TECHNOLOGY freeware illustrator-type software

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Roland Beinert
    Participant

I’ve been thinking about the fact that I haven’t had a reason to use Adobe Illustrator since college. I’d like to relearn it, but could never afford to buy it for my own use. Is there a program I could download for free that has the same functions and could save things in a usable format?

Andrew Spiering
    Participant

Yes, Inkscape is not a bad solution for something that is free.

Noah Billig
    Participant

Not sure that it matters for most people, but Inkscape is open-source, not freeware. It’s a distinction having to do with availability of source code, as I understand it.

Noah Billig
    Participant

It’s website calls it open-source. I am just trying to figure out the differences between freeware, open-source and shareware. I came across this link via linux.com a few weeks ago:

http://opensourcestrategies.blogspot.com/2005/09/freeware-vs-shareware-vs-open-source.html

Is there something I’m missing?

Back to Roland’s topic, how user-friendly is this program (relative to Illustrator)?

Thanks.

Roland Beinert
    Participant

Thanks for the reccommendation.
    I keep getting an error message when I try to run the installation program. It says “Installer integrity check has failed. Common causes include incomplete download and damaged media.” I tried re-downloading it, but got the same message. Any ideas? Could my virus software be interfering?

Roland Beinert
    Participant

As I said in reply to the first reply you gave, I had problems with installing inkscape. Could my virus software be interfering? Is gimp a similar program?

nca
    Participant

I believe gimp is open source ‘photoshop.’

Why not just dl a trial of illustrator for 30 days? Shoot me a message if you need help with that..

Roland Beinert
    Participant

I’ve thought about doing that, but part of the reason I want illustrator type software is so that I can redo my portfolio to include pictures of built projects along with the plans. I was hoping to get reaquainted with the software as I did that. There’d probably be things I’d want to change after the thirty days. Then again, I guess I could download it like you suggest and find a freeware version after the 30 days is up.
    Any ideas on why inkscape wouldn’t work?

nca
    Participant

I dont know anything about inkscape, but I can only imagine that the interface is different from adobe products as well as the commands. That in mind, I don’t see how it could do you much good to mess with it if the standard is Adobe. If your goals is only to rework your projects and get it done, then go for the freeware.

30 days is a surprisingly long time to work with a product and if it came down to you needing more time I bet you could still purchase a student version fairly cheaply.

i would suggest at least working with Ai for the 30 days and at last resort if you still need to get more done and dont want to spend money, get inkscape.

nca
    Participant

Also, I was just thinking about computers at local universities you may be able to use with adobe products if you know someone on the inside and ask nicely..just a thought.

Roland Beinert
    Participant

Maybe I’ll just go ahead and download illustrator for the time being. I can’t get the installation program for inkscape to work, anyway.
    I guess I could see if I could work on a computer at Boise State, but I wouldn’t really know who to ask. Kinkos sometimes has illustrator, but then I’d have to pay to use their computers.
    Thanks everyone.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register