Further specialization for landscape architecture – Sustainable Urban Planning or Cultural Landscape Studies

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums EDUCATION Further specialization for landscape architecture – Sustainable Urban Planning or Cultural Landscape Studies

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Gabriel Caballero
    Participant

Hi all, 

I am a practicing landscape architect for the last 6 years and I am considering of getting a masters degree to improve my knowledge and professional opportunities. From what I see in the practice and what I read in the news, there is a definite trend in creating sustainable cities and I believe it will be a good idea to understand the complex nature of sustainability, urban planning, preservation of built environment and cultural heritage. However, I am torn between pursuing a course in Sustainable Urban Development and studying Cultural Landscapes (as part of a bigger course of World Heritage Conservation).

May I know if you have any experience in these aspects of the profession and what do you think will be a better choice to specialize in to prepare for the future? I appreciate that they will provide somewhat similar yet divergent skills and employment opportunities and I want to get your thoughts on what may be more important in the future of the profession. As employers, which do you feel will be more employable?

Your ideas and advice will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Gabriel

Rico Flor
    Participant

Gabby, I’ll cast my vote on World Heritage Conservation.  Good luck!

Gabriel Caballero
    Participant

I have also spoken with Mr. Villalon regarding this and he is also thinks it is a good choice. I am looking at the internet for other Landscape Architects who have this specialization and found most will be in the US as part of the Cultural Landscape Foundation or in UNESCO or other related branches like ICOMOS. 

I am not too sure if there are bigger landscape offices in Asia that also recognizes the need for such specialization.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register