Going back to school for a masters in other science fields??

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums EDUCATION Going back to school for a masters in other science fields??

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Sabrina A. Buttitta
    Participant

Having experienced a decline in employment (like so many of us) and only able to find part time work within the field, I am considering going back to school for a masters and branching out into other fields.  

The top choices are environmental science or environmental engineering. I have a strong passion for environmental conservation/planning and ecological/sustainable projects, so I thought that going back and having more of a solid science background would provide a strong link between both fields. The problem is, that requires going back to school and taking on debt. There is no guarantee that having a masters is going to open more doors, but there seem to be more job opportunities in environmental science and environmental engineering fields.

Has anyone considered going back to school for other science degrees? Any thoughts? Thanks!

Lori Molitor
    Participant

I’ve worked in engineering firms for the past 10 years and I’ve found that entry level Environmental Science folks don’t always have degrees in that field or even BS degrees at all. I knew one with a degree in Economics, another who had simply spent several years doing asbestos remediation work as a contractor. Many of the major firms doing NEPA or state environmental law documentation hire cheap labor that can learn on the job. Like someone mentioned before, it doesn’t pay as well, but it is a job. I’d say let the LA degree demonstrate your ability to think and start making calls. However, you might do some research into your state’s environmental laws and NEPA before picking up the phone.

Sabrina A. Buttitta
    Participant

Thank you so much for your insight! I am just trying to broaden my horizons. I love learning and definitely want to learn more. I thought going back go to school would be a good idea because it would hopefully create more opportunities. Engineering programs do seem grueling, and from what I have researched, most at least have a Bachelors (which is preferred). It’s going to take a lot of work on my end to catch up and enter a Masters program. I ultimately I want to find full time LA work, and if I can’t, then branch out into other areas. I have thought about getting LEED certified and eventually a RLA. You mentioned that there are other options for upward mobility? Am I missing some other obvious ones?? Thanks.

Sabrina A. Buttitta
    Participant

Thanks. In my research of colleges offering Environmental degrees, I saw Policy/Environmental Law degrees. I will definitely take a deeper look into this.

Sabrina A. Buttitta
    Participant

Thanks. I know of a firm that works closely with the Nature Conservancy as environmental lawyers. I will do some information interviews and research.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register