Good places to visit in pa

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Michael V Volpe
    Participant

Hey,

I am going to be traveling through Pennsylvania soon and was wondering if anyone recommends any good spots to see or stay at.

anything greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Mike

Falling Water near Pittsburgh.

Christopher Patzke
    Participant

I would suggest Longwood Gardens in Kennett Square, PA….it’s just west of Philly.

Jonathan Nelsen
    Participant

Agree with Dennis.  Always wanted to get out there.

Jason T. Radice
    Participant

There is Downtown Philly with the Liberty Bell, The Mint and Independence Hall. Eastern State Penitentiary and the stuff along Ben Franklin Parkway. Valley Forge is just outside of Philly (NW). I would second Longwood Gardens, as well as Falling Water. If your are going through NEPA, there is a great amusement park calle Knoebels. Its in the woods and has free admission (you buy tickets for the rides) and the food is excellent. It has a ton of old classic rides and two of the best wooden coasters you will ever ride. Outside of Harrisburg is Hershey, PA, with its own amusement park, gardens at the Hotel Hershey, and of course, Chocolate World (which is mostly free). In Pottsville, PA is the Yeungling Brewery, America’s oldest. A part of the building was built in 1831, and it is really quite the facilty…lots of character. Not the beer factories like A/B.   

Trace One
    Participant

Wintherthur has longwood beat, IMHO, altho Longwood is pretty spectacular..Robert Venturis Franklin Park is pretty weird and an interesting visit, for design wonks, and the Wissahickon! Love it.. Oh – Winterthur might be in Delaware? sorry! Still way worth the sie trip..

Kirk Hiatt
    Participant

More Philly locals: Bartram’s Gardens in West Philly. A 250 year old naturalists garden collection with the oldest Ginko tree in the country as well as the Franklinia alatamaha which was saved from extinction by the Bartrams and named after their friend Ben Franklin.

Kirk Hiatt
    Participant

If you find yourself in Philadelphia I can give you some good local bars and restaurants to visit. PS whatever you do don’t get a philly cheesesteak from Pat’s OR Genos. Not only are they really gross but Genos is a notoriously racists establishment. Don’t Listen to the HYPE, it’s BS.

Jason T. Radice
    Participant

Winterthur is indeed in Delaware..but nobody really wants to go there (J/K). There is also Nemours in DE, just down the pike from both Longwood and Winterthur. It is decidedly French, kind of like an American Versailles. All are former DuPont estates. It is interesting to drive aournd there and see how planted DuPont is still and how much of it is along a stream like the mills of old. There is a great restaurant in Kennett Square as well that has Belgian beers and various types of unusual game meats.Unfortunately, they won’t let you tour the massive Conard-Pyle nursery where all start and knockout roses come from. Its right there too.

Trace One
    Participant

wow, good comments! Jason, why would one not want to go to Winterthur? It totally has the horticulturally oriented Longwood onthe ropes as far as a day in great landscape design..Not to speak of the Kennet Square/ Wyeth landscapes plus zoning ordinance based on paintings congflagrations – I mean contagions..I mean conhabitations/

and BARTRAMS GARDENS – how could I forget!!!!

that is it for Philly – I was going to go with Morris arboretum, but that is nothing really…I forgot about  BARTRAMS GARDENS!!! I almost worked there, under some weird connection…used to go there ALL the time with my two huge dogs..

very good site – I don’t know about today, when I was there it was ROUGH!!! I think it hs been more carefully managed since the eighties..the 1880’s that is…

: )

ps.any opinions on Venturi’s Franklin court thing in Philly? Very WEIRD concept, don’t know how it has aged..

: )

Jason T. Radice
    Participant

Tony Luke’s for a cheesesteak hogie!

Jason T. Radice
    Participant

I was implying that nobody wants to go to Delaware, not Winterthur…and the (J/K) following that comment is a “just kidding” marker. I’ve been to Delaware a ton, being just across the Bay Bridge from me and a shortcut to Philly, although I’ve never been to winterhur. I think the admission is kind of steep for what is there that interests me.

I kind of like the Franklin Court thing. It gives you a sense of scale without ruining the archeaology of the site by building some rubbish recreation of what Franklin’s house MIGHT have looked like. It maked it even cooler that it is surrounded by buildings and not completely visible from the street, kind of like a hidden gem.

HistPres
    Participant

Great Gardens that are worth a visit:

Phipps Conservatory (Pittsburgh)

Longwood Gardens (Kennett Square)

Chanticleer (Wayne)

Welkinweir (Pottstown)

Jenkins Arboretum (Devon)

Tyler Arboretum (Media)

The last five are all outside of Philly–you could def. make it to each one if you plan your route.  My personal favorite is Welkinweir. 

Alan Ray, RLA
    Participant

is Phillys’  HOT CLUB still in action?….it’s been a few years…..

I’d definately visit the controversial ” Barnes Collection” in Philly… be sure to watch

“Art Of The Steal” first…you can stream on netflix..

Stay at Bellvue Stratford and chill at Rittenhouse Square then walk down South Street and be impressed by all the Cast Iron facade buildings…………

Oh, then for the evening meal go to The Garden. My fave Philly restaurant….

Christopher Patzke
    Participant

Winterthur is decidedly a spring garden and was designed as such.  Longwood is a year round delight.  I loved the evening garden parties and fireworks.  I am biased though.  I interned at Longwood in undergraduate school.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register