grass identification

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

hello everyone!! i need help in identifying a couple of grass species…I saw these grasses in Bali and recently in SHMA’s website…Can someone please help identify the following:

1.) grass 01

2.)grass 02

thank you so much

Goustan BODIN
    Participant

You send the same link twice, and I must shamefully admit, I don’t know this one ! 

Please send another link to give me a second chance at guessing 🙂

Im so sorry for posting the same link….here is the first one :http://wisont.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/shma-23estate-09.jpg?w=584

Thank you so much for taking the time in answering my query

Rob Halpern
    Participant

Appears to be a species of pennisetum. Perhaps one of the running species rather than the clumpers, but can’t tell for sure from phots

Goustan BODIN
    Participant

Good eye, Rob !

It’s Pennisetum Alopecuroides, comes in clumps.

It’s red cousin is Pennisetum setaceum, cv. ‘Rubrum’ (same aspect, bronze red color)

Both available in the US if I’m not mistaken.

Rob Halpern
    Participant

Thanks, but I am not convinced it is P. Alopecuroides. .Pennisetum orientale  maybe? P. macrourum ?

Goustan BODIN
    Participant

I like these grasses, and in my books it was pictured as P. alopecuroides. But you made me doubt the book (local books not so trustworthy), I had to search the answer and turned to my favorite site: wikipedia.

Pennisetum alopecuroides actually looks like the grass in the first 2 links

Pennisetum setaceum should be the right one 

Pennisetum orientale I’ve never seen it. As far as I know not available here.

Pennisetum macrourum Had never heard of it. As far as I know not available here.

It’s always good to learn more about plants (especially nice looking grasses ^^ ), thanks guys !

Thank you so much!! I love grasses , i think they are very much under-utilized here (philippines)…and im doing a mini research on emergent grass species for my masters

Goustan BODIN
    Participant

Here in Thailand you couldn’t find a single one up until roughly 5 yrs ago. Now the trend caught up and you see them everywhere. There is a new one popping-up every year or so. I believe the trend should spread with the same speed in the Philipines : seeing is believing.

Rob Halpern
    Participant

There are many beautiful Pennisetums but one must be careful in the tropics where some have become invasive pest species.

The grass in the first two links is not, I think, a Pennisetum. Flower seems all wrong. Perhaps a species of Calamagrostis?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register