Grasscrete or grassy pavers use in public parks

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION Grasscrete or grassy pavers use in public parks

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mark Di Lucido
    Participant

Does anybody have experience using Grasscrete or grassy pavers for turf areas where people play, throw Frisbee, and generally just chill on the grass, etc? This technology has been suggested for a public park where the turf is so heavily used each weekend that it can’t recover. Other parks in our system have the same constraints–mature trees, heavy weekend use, and similar maintenance/irrigation regimens so I’m thinking it’s a soil and drainage issue and don’t think pavers are the answer but . . .

Thanks for your help,

Curtis R. Jakes
    Participant

Grassy pavers are very popular for many reasons which combines the beautiful green appealing grass with strong paving giving completely beautiful garden. Well, turf paver are not so popular but they are durable and attractive. They are environmental friendly. My sister had recently installed parking lot paving at Nassau County by the professional. The paving is a turf paving which requires little maintenance after the professional installed the plastic or concrete grid systems.

Rob Halpern
    Participant

No direct experience to report but I expect these products are best suited to vehicles or erosion control rather than for running or lounging on. Seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen to me

Jason Davidson
    Participant

I agree with Rob on this one.  Grass-crete doesn’t seem like a good option for a recreation area as it is predominantly a hard pavement.

I have never had good results with grass-crete.  The space for the grass to grow is too small and doesn’t allow a good matt of turf to establish.  I find these areas merely become pavers with dirt voids.

Mark Di Lucido
    Participant

Thanks Rob.

Mark Di Lucido
    Participant

Thanks Jason.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register