Halprins fountains – treasures in the way?

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION Halprins fountains – treasures in the way?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Leslie B Wagle
    Participant

This is an article publsihed elsewhere but I thought of special interest to our field and wondered if there are thoughts and comments about it?

https://archpaper.com/2018/05/halprin-designed-plaza-chopping-block-san-francisco/

Lawrence Halprin seemed to be a giant at one time in his ability to design experimental and innovative public fountains, among his total work. I wonder now how many liability-fearful cities would even dare to allow such climbing attractions? But while still “modern,” various of his works have already been under threat as client needs change (one courtyard already destroyed that I read about elsewhere). The article states that current LA’s are involved in proposals that could change San Francisco’s Civic Center Plaza space, which is good….but do they have any obligation to treat landmarks of our own profession with special care (admitting nothing lasts forever)? Clearly not if a fountain is in a hazardous condition or really never used (like a park over a parking deck nobody could access well, and which fell into drug gang use – can’t recall designers)…but I hope the Halprin contribution can be incorporated into emerging concepts for the larger space.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register