Has anyone here exited the Landscape Architecture industry?

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION Has anyone here exited the Landscape Architecture industry?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    Jordan Lockman
    Participant

What are these parallel fields that the majority of your class is doing?

Rick Spalenka
    Participant

“Has anyone here exited the Landscape Architecture industry?’ 

I did and regret it.  I had a great DB company and made the mistake of opening a garden center.  A new nearby Big Box creamed my retail sales and mental stability.  I got out of the LA field and pursued the healthcare field.  Didn’t like that and got back in the LA field after LA licensing became required here.  Those years I was out I could have cultivated a more successful design career like my current competitors did.  Best thing now is that one of my portals to work are the architects and now they have time to talk to me.  Before I couldn’t get past their front office and now they don’t have front office staff.  Where before they didn’t have time to talk to me now they talk about their fishing trips.  Face to face contact is good marketing.  I think I’m making lemonade.  Oh, our current food on the table is provided my my wife’s career as an accountant.  Funny.

Lana Merrill
    Participant

Pursuing another degree is never a mistake. If I could (and had the money) I’d do something in the fields of health and nutrition (which has NOTHING to do with LA). It’s just not something I have the chance to pursue yet in life.

I just started an internship at a firm in Boston (my first REAL job in LA) and I’m learning that there is so much more to an LA firm than just designing. I’ve had so many professors telling me to pursue a minor in accounting, or business. Always helps!! I don’t know particularly much about mastering in Economics, but I know that being in the landscape architecture field consists of marketing, investing, business, designing, the arts, and history and so much more. EVERYTHING it seems like. I say go for it, but keep your connections with everyone in LA.

Plus, being creative and having design skills goes far in almost any field – good luck 🙂

Jason T. Radice
    Participant

The funeral industry is in retraction as the industry consolidates into huge corporations that buy up family funeral homes and run several with the same staff.

Lana Merrill
    Participant

And even if you don’t end up liking it – who cares. You found your truth, acted on it, went for it, and at the end of it all, you owned it.

Jason T. Radice
    Participant

If you are into planning or urban design, you can go back to school and become an urban economist (yes, there is such a thing).

Lana Merrill
    Participant

I wish I could like this. Haha That’s too funny. I think most LAs feel like that…

Jay Smith
    Participant

I’d like to know this as well.

Douglas M. Rooney
    Participant

Jason….I was just joking….I agree with you that safety is an illusion..I was just trying for some levity in an otherwise dour discussion.

Jason T. Radice
    Participant

I know…i was just sayin’! The taxes part seems to be lucrative…at least with the feds. That seems to be the only stable job around here,

Douglas M. Rooney
    Participant

What happened to the DOUR photo?? I so enjoyed “bitter Jason”…..

Jason T. Radice
    Participant

Somebody complained I was scaring small children. Thus the cartoon.

Anonymous
    Inactive

They are granite sales, that have turned into selling graveyard design, and cremation gardens. Another is doing GIS for a civil firm. Another is doing graphic art for a company. And one is a personal gardener.

Boilerplater
    Participant

Wow, that’s an odd bit of info to have handy!  Researching other industries to kill time, are we?  Or maybe relatives in the industry?

What will be left of family businesses?  This country is evolving into a corporatocracy!

Heather Smith
    Participant

I am curious. Are you taking out more student loans? Those things are a…well you know. 🙂 I don’t think I would go for anything I wasn’t being paid to study.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 70 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register