History of LA degrees in the southeast

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION History of LA degrees in the southeast

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Leslie B Wagle
    Participant

I have not been able to find this anywhere on the web or I wouldn’t annoy the forum with it, but it has come up in discussions with others in my generation and we are rusty or don’t know because we went out of the region. The individual schools don’t even have notes about this as their typical degree websites are oriented to admission requirements, faculty profiles, etc. and it’s an “obscure” question to the greater world.

My interest is in when in the southeast was there a decent choice of programs in landscape architecture? I’m thinking about the late sixties there were only 4 universities with offerings (not all undergrad), possibly being NC State, maybe Clemson or U. of Ga. at Athens, maybe one in Florida or Virginia. I know Alabama, and Tennessee did not, and can’t say either way about KY, LA or Miss. Your knowledge on specific schools would be appreciated even if you don’t know the “regional” answer . 

Michael Lynskey
    Participant

At NC State, the Department of Architecture and Landscape Design was established in 1946, with the departments reorganized into the present-day College of Design in 1948 (under Henry Kamphoefner), according to here: http://historicalstate.lib.ncsu.edu/timelines/highlights-in-nc-state-history

It is mostly a graduate program, at this point, and has seen quite a resurgence in the past few years with many student awards and competition wins under our belt (I’m a recent graduate so a bit biased).

It would appear LSU’s Landscape Architecture program started somewhere around the 1940’s/1950’s, it’s not real clear in their department bio.

Blair LeJeune
    Participant
    Geoffrey Campbell
    Participant

UGA undergrad program started in 1928 and has been accredited since 1952. Grad program started in 1954.

Leslie B Wagle
    Participant

Thanks to all so far. So we have UGA, NC State, and LSU…which makes 3, close to my recollection. Looking for #4….or whether the number exceeds that (pre Vietnam War era)…

Alan Ray, RLA
    Participant

the BLA program at Mississippi State Univ. began in the mid 1960’s and accreditation was given  in 1972 if I remember correctly….I didn’t know what the big deal was at the time…now I do.

Oh, and they added the MLA many years later…not sure of the date.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register