In memorium of an ambassador and icon

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION In memorium of an ambassador and icon

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    jasonbrouillette
    Participant

From the Robert Reich School of Landscape Architecture at Louisiana State University:

We regretfully announce that Professor Emeritus Robert S. “Doc” Reich peacefully passed away Saturday, July 31. A memorial service will be held at 12:00 on Friday, August 6, at University United Methodist Church, 3350 Dalrymple Drive, Baton Rouge, LA 70808, followed by a Celebration reception in the Fellowship Hall.

In lieu of flowers the family asks that donations be made to the LSU Foundation/ Helen Reich Memorial Scholarship Fund 3838 West Lakeshore Drive, Baton Rouge, LA 70808.

Also, anyone having images of Doc on field trips, etc. is invited to send the images to Max Conrad at mconrad@lsu.edu. The images will be compiled into a visual presentation that will be shown during the celebration following the church services.

It is an honor to be a part of ‘Doc’s’ legacy, to learn from, to share a pencil with, and to be a steward of his work at a family residence.  He truly created a precedent for landscape architectural education, based on design merit, a love of horticulture, and an even greater love of people.  What Doc created at LSU is a family… a family which spans the globe.  His energy and enthusiasm were contageous, and continue to be.   To put it in perspective:  When I was in the school, (1998-2003),  Doc rode his bicycle from his home studio to the LSU College of Design building a few times a week for studio classes, he swam frequently, every Sunday he provided the floral arrangements at his church, (freshly cut on his journey between home and church),  and to put it lightly, he was one sharp dude.  Every semester, Doc held his famous ‘ice cream socials’, which consisted of students, faculty, friends, ice cream, and (most importantly), stories…what a beautiful idea.  The doors were always open at Doc’s home studio and many students cut their teeth over his drawing boards.   

I will stop rambling for my words and memories do not even scratch the surface of Doc’s dedication and contribution to people and the development of our profession. 

For a much more eloquent and historical account of Doc’s amazing ninety-seven year crusade through life, please read the following biography.

http://tclf.org/pioneers/robert-reich/biography-robert-reich

as Woodie Guthrie once said, ‘Take it easy…but take it.’

jasonbrouillette

Elizabeth Renton
    Participant

Doc was an amazing man….we should all be so blessed to live a life as full as his! I’m sorry I wasn’t able to attend his memorial service; it sounded like it was a wonderful tribute to his inspiring life. Rest in peace doc.

David Farber
    Participant

I sat in his last class at LSU for my final semester a few months ago. I am glad I did. It meant alot.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register