Interesting article.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jason T. Radice
    Participant

Hot on the heels of the whole ‘intovert’ discussion appears this interesting blog post by The Cultural Landscape Foundation’s president, Charles Birnbaum.

In it, he disusses that LAs are starting to stand up and take credit for their often mis-attributed works. Its a quick and good read, and definately a step in the right direction. Be sure to note OLIN’s use of a memo of understanding between project partners. Sounds like a great idea to me.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/charles-a-birnbaum/high-line-park_b_1335085.html

nca
    Participant

Great idea. I just read an interview with Liz Diller taking credit for the high line with no mention of corner.

From Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diller_Scofidio_%2B_Renfro

“Diller Scofidio + Renfro designed the High Line in New York City, in collaboration with landscape architects James Corner Field Operations and planting designer Piet Oudolf.[7] Phase I was completed in 2009 and Phase II was completed in 2011.”

Jason T. Radice
    Participant

You should go ahead and correct it. It is Wikipedia.

Zach Watson
    Participant

Great to see that other LA’s are starting to stand up and no longer happy with just being ‘The Good Wife’.  The article mentions that some LA’s are starting to write credit clauses in their contracts.  Is this something that anyone else has done, or do you just try to catch anything that you see and correct the misprint?

Trace One
    Participant

wow. That’s a great piece, thanks for posting..If one of the things that is so incredible about the High Line is the planting plan, as I have been led to believe, it is incredible that Field Operations doesn’t get credit..I am also amazed because  I don’t remember modesty as being one of Corner’s prevalent characteristics..

ida
    Participant

I’m sure including the name Landscape Architecture in the title will not grab attention that the article deserves. The title should have read “Architects Are A Bunch of Thieves”. That should wake up the architects and the public to credit properly.

Jason T. Radice
    Participant

Field operations didn’t do the planting Piet Oudolf did that part. In the ‘New American’ landscape style developed by Oehme van Sweden; only its a gigantic intensive green roof.  

Anonymous
    Inactive

“Today, a lot of lip service is given to the so-called “holistic” approach to design but on awards night, the Oscar goes to the architect.” – Cantilever

This comment pretty much sums it all up. I’ve gotten to the point where I have no problem letting the Architect shine. Credit is nice, but having my part of the project built the way I envisioned it, getting paid and most importantly repeat work is what matters the most too me. I didn’t become an LA to be famous.

If the Architect is the lead, I say try to make her/him look like a genius if you can. There’s plenty of opportunity for an LA to be in the spot light with parks, bike trails, landscape renovations, single-family residential projects, etc. I stopped looking at Architects as the enemy along time ago. I see them as another source to get the kind of projects I like to do. As long as they respect me as a professional and don’t meddle too much in site affairs it’s all good.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register