Iphone apps for landscape architects

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums TECHNOLOGY Iphone apps for landscape architects

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anne Attinger
    Participant

I just read Landscape Architecture’s (9/2009) article about apps for mobile devices and searched the plant reference app that they mentioned…couldn’t find it. Anyone out there like a particular app for plant referencing? I have been using nursery search engines (like Monrovia, Mountain States,and San Marcos) in Safari when showing pictures to clients, but was wondering if anyone has found an app that has a ton of information all in one spot/app…
    Any other apps that y’all have found helpful for landscape architecture, I’d love to hear about..

My two go-to apps are “autostitch” – for great (and SO EASY) panoramic photos while on site, and Photoshop mobile (PS Mobile)-great for quick crops/exposure/contrast changes, etc.

Jon Quackenbush
    Participant

i prefer a Dirr manual (not the big one, Dirrs Native Plants of the North East) because nothing beats having the book in my hands… I also really enjoy my dendrology workbook. both can fit in my briefcase with my sketchbook…

iOldschool.

Boyd Coleman
    Participant

I’d love to find a decent plant reference guide for the SW U.S. but i haven’t found it yet. A decent basic CAD app would be nice too for quick measurements in small spaces.

Some work related Apps I use every day:

Todo: $9.99: It’s a great GTD app. Very customizable. It’s a lifesaver for me.
    ReQall: a great dictation app that you can set up to text or email your transcript to you. It’s free, but I paid the $25/yr subscription for unlimited use.
    Jetset: $4.99: Expense tracker, uploads to Google Docs (excel spreadsheet).
    Fossil: $7.99: Time tracker. Took a little while to set up, but straight forward and easy to use. It’s a great time/expense tracker for project management.
    Instapaper Pro: $4.99: Great for saving links when you don’t have time to read them on the fly. It saves URLs until you sync them and have time to read the article offline. Great for skimming your google reader before the subway/plane flight.

James Sipes
    Participant

Sorry, that is the problem with referring to apps … they change so quickly.

Leafsnap:

“This free mobile app uses visual recognition software to help identify tree species from photographs of their leaves.

Leafsnap contains beautiful high-resolution images of leaves, flowers, fruit, petiole, seeds, and bark. Leafsnap currently includes the trees of the Northeast and will soon grow to include the trees of the entire continental United States.

Leafsnap website shows the tree species included in Leafsnap, the collections of its users, and the team of research volunteers working to produce it.”

http://leafsnap.com/

Did I mention it’s free? Awesome!

Fernando Cirino
    Participant

There is a great Dirr App available for the iphone and iPad.  It’s very good and includes photos and searchable criterea such as colours.   Definetly worth the 15.00.

Laurent Paméla
    Participant

anne – check plant ant (https://www.plantant.com), plan gird, adobe ideas and scale. 

Paul Stafford
    Participant

Hi Anne

I don’t have any US specific plant databases. I use PlantManager for my planting plans and this has a database of 6000 plants. It has a free version to try.

I’ve actually just begun compiling a list of free, open source and cheaper software that could be helpful for a design office. I’ve got 7 listed now but will continue to add to it as I go….

http://cadsmarter.com/members/software/ – it’s for members but you can go here to become a member

Regards

Paul Stafford

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register