Is a Project Management Professional (PMP) credential worth it?

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION Is a Project Management Professional (PMP) credential worth it?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Sean Hanberg
    Participant

I am currently working for a LA firm overseas. I have seen a Project Management Professional (PMP) credential offered by the Project Management Institute (PMI) and noticed some LA’s with it. I am wondering if it is something I should look into and if it is worth it.

The company I work with is located in Bangkok Thailand and does a lot of international work with Hotels and Resorts. My job activities include being the in-between with my company and clients & consultants as I am a native English speaker that speaks Thai.

Any thoughts on the matter would be great.

Chris Whitted
    Participant

I’ve seen it hold more weight/advantage outside the LA profession than in, unless you’re talking some of the much larger and multidisciplinary firms.  Since it’s a generalist sort of thing (ie, applies to any industry) it can also help transitioning to another job or career.  That said, if you’re interested, have the time and opporunity, and especially if you can have the training/test paid for, I would say do it.  If you want to look into it a bit more, track down a copy of the PMBOK Guide (project management body of knowledge book) – there are a few copies of the older versions floating around on the web, though the newest update from PMI isn’t terribly expensive either ($50-65).  Getting the PMP basically requires having thorough knowledge of that document, similar to LEED certification.  I worked with two people that basically took a couple of training series and the test and got their certifications in less than six months.

Chupacabra
    Participant

I took the 40 hour prep course a few weeks ago.  It’s just generic PM concepts drowned in ridiculous jargon you have to memorize in order to pass a test.  It’s more alphabet soup after your name, but it’s well known and broadly applied.

If you work with large organizations I think it might be worth it.  It’s most common with larger companies (it’s often a requirement for oil&gas and big construction companies here), so if you have large clients or primes/subs the will probably respond to it favorably.  It seems to be becoming the international standard (ISO) and there’s more and more PMPs everyday.  That could matter for you in Thailand.

I used to spend a bit of time in Thailand.  Love the place and regret not being able to visit as often.

Chupacabra
    Participant

I memed this as a joke, but it’s something you’ll have to memorize.  The sad thing is that after a while it starts to make sense.

Goustan BODIN
    Participant

Hi Sean,

I am based in Bkk as well, working for a Thai firm since I can speak Thai as well. I believe it would be beneficial for both of us to trade experiences and so forth.

Sent you a ‘friend’ request so we can communicate further through PM.

Kate Notman
    Participant

I came to LA as a second career after being a PM. In my old job capacity I was required to get a PMP credential. In my work as an LA I have found basic PM skills to be very useful, but I have yet to run into anyone who cares at all that I have the PMP certification. Perhaps if I did international work or worked for a larger firm it might make a difference but so far, it hasn’t.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register