Is advertising for LA’s still considered unethical?

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION Is advertising for LA’s still considered unethical?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    Alan Ray, RLA
    Participant

thank you Heather, glad you liked it….I have a 12 month contract. I’ll let yall know if it generates any business.

you must do NYC. it has the best and worst of everything…

the museums, parks, and energy are addictive….don’t overlook Prospect Park in Brooklyn….it’s actually my fave. I know that’s blasphemy to the Central Park people but check them out and let me know….also Paley and Green Acre parks are my faves among the vest-pockets….

Heather Smith
    Participant

One of my professors came from Rutgers and she had us working on an Earth From Above exhibit. We researched different locations that would be best and so I know of Prospect, Battery City Park…of course Central and I think there was another over by the 9/11 site? Is that Battery City? I would love to take my kids…but that will take some saving. We might just have to leave them with grandma and come over. 🙂 It could be a write-off, right? That is the fun thing about landscape architecture…we get to go see all the beautiful, interesting things that everyone loves…but we get to learn from it. 😉

Heather Smith
    Participant

If we make it I will definitely contact you!

Jason T. Radice
    Participant

Perfect! Classy and understated. Perfect publication as well. Ads for wine stuff, expensive furnishings, really expensive galleries, and of course, Lexii. Spot on demographic wise. Hopefully you will see some returns on it..at least inquiries. Thats really the important thing (I know, SALES are the important thing), but just having the ad drive inquiries will mean it is successful. Its meant to raise awareness, its up to you to reel ’em in.  

Alan Ray, RLA
    Participant

Thanks Jason, as always, I value your opinion.

I’ll let you know if I get any action from it…it’s just been out one month. eleven to go….

Heather Smith
    Participant

Also have to laugh…your name Alan Ray…RLA…nice rhyme. Catchy! haha

Alan Ray, RLA
    Participant

Heather, I’m so glad my name humors you…..

I asked my parents for a funny name to go with rla….

Alan is my middle name, first name is Cullen,

now that’s even a funnier name except if you’re Irish.

Heather Smith
    Participant

haha

Rick Spalenka
    Participant

I have not found the true secret to getting my name out.  Because Colorado just re-introduced licensure two years ago it’s a new game now.  The rules have changed so the word needs to be disseminated.  Yellow pages doesn’t work with all the non-LAs who list under landscape architect.  Newspapers don’t work because nobody reads anymore.  TV and Radio is a lost cause and I’m not sold on web/internet advertising yet.  So far my current tactic is to nock on doors.  With this economy I find Architects and Engineers have some time to talk.  I bought coffee mugs with my business care printed on them and that seems to be well received.  If they don’t drink coffee they have a pen holder and coffee cups are cheap compared to newspaper advertising.  I guess I’m just laying the ground work for when this local economy improves.  Right now there is virtually no major construction activity in this part of the State so I’m not alone in my misery.  Many, and I repeat many engineering and architect firms have virtually folded around here and the ones who haven’t don’t know they are sinking.  At least I have time to improve my own home.

nca
    Participant

My thoughts on the ad–Which I think is fairly effective, good for you for taking the inititive..

1. Personally, I think the golden ration/fibonacci spiral thing is kind of a cliche in the design world. I’d like to see another image that speaks directly to your work and what sets it apart.

2. Your email address..you have a website but no email attached to that domain? I think it would look more professional to see alan@alanrayassociates.com..

3. the font in your ad looks quite large..I would think you could size it down by at least half and get more information/imagery about you in that space.

4. Imagery..I’d like to see some sort of imagery in the ad.

Alan Ray, RLA
    Participant

thanks for the ideas….all that stuff you mention is very expensive to change…there is an email link on my website.

my hope is they will check out my work samples on my website….

I’ll let my work speak for itself…..

Miles Barnard
    Participant

Alan I have run a handful of ads in magazines over the years and have never gotten one call, not one from those ads.  I think print ads are a waste of money to be honest.  You have to get a project published or a piece about yourself published in one of the local lifestyle magazines to have any impact I think.  Around here we have Chesapeake Life (had), Chesapeake Home, etc.  If you are a small firm and have almost no ad budget I wouldn’t spend it on a magazine ad.  Spend it on a brochure that you mail or hand deliver to architects or engineers that could bring you work.  Pick a project and turn it into a nice brochure with professional photos.

Alessandro
    Participant

i don’t consider it unethical

nca
    Participant

Did you pay someone to create the ad/image for you?

Alan Ray, RLA
    Participant

no, it’s my business card I designed 20 years ago……

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 62 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register