Landscape Architecture & Job Security – Any comments?

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums PROFESSIONAL PRACTICE Landscape Architecture & Job Security – Any comments?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    David Thompson
    Participant

I have a small amount of experience in Landscape Architecture professionally working for a small design firm, (1 yr).

Is there anyone out there who has been working in the field for say 10 or more years that could comment about the nature of the work from a functional point of view in regards to making a reasonable living- job security, wages, typical hours logged in a work week etc?

Not looking to get rich here, just looking for respectable work with a decent reliable salary. I realize were all tightening financially, just kind of wondering how LA sizes up against other professions in regards to layoffs when things do tighten up.

I enjoy the field very much, and enjoy the business/problem solving technical side of landscape architecture id say more than the design side, but its all fun. (consulting, meeting with clients, management, accounting, detailing, site supervision)

It’s ugly out there right now, but I’m not sure there’s anything specific about our field that makes it any more prone to economic hardships and layoffs than other professions.

What’s happening right now has hit builders, developers and the construction industry in particular very hard. Clients can’t get loans to start/complete projects so the entire industry (including Architecture, Engineering, MEP, etc.) is feeling the pinch, not just residential either. Public municipalities are still spending the money they have, but budgets will shrink for next year as foreclosures rise, and tax bases are reduced.

As for your other questions, assuming good economic times you can make a decent living as a Landscape Architect. Like any design profession, the hours worked are a direct result of client demands and your drive to succeed. All-nighters should be the exception, not the norm, but in my experience (and I’ve only been at this for about 8 years) the best LA’s rarely make it a 9-5 job and are willing to put in some extra effort to ensure a quality and timely product.

Hope that helps.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register