Landscapes to see in Washington DC

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums PLACES & SPACES Landscapes to see in Washington DC

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

So like many of you I am headed to DC for the Convention and Expo and am looking for places to visit while I am there. Of course there are the obvious places to visit and explore. However I am personally no expert on the landscapes of DC and am looking for suggestions on places to visit that I would enjoy exploring and learning from.

In addition I would also love to hear about places beyond landscapes that people would recomend.

Cheers!

Hi Sam,

I don’t know whether you’ve been to DC or not, but I found the article in the July issue of the LA magazine quite helpful. It lists all the basic attractions and seems like a good place to start. I think you can download the article from the ASLA website (annual meeting section maybe?). Hope to see you there!

Jason T. Radice
    Participant

My reccomendations as a local:

Kogod Courtyard in the Smithsonian American Art/Portrait Gallery (Sir Norman Foster w/ Gustavson Guthrie Nichol) – Hopefully they will have the water scrims fixed by then

Dumbarton Oaks – Beatrix Farrand

US Capitol Grounds – F L Olmsted

FDR Memorial – Halprin

National Gallery Sculpture Garden – Olin

Thats a pretty good representation, although there is TONS more, someof it a bit out of the way. These are the major works by major players in the LA profession.

Zach Watson
    Participant

I was out there about a month ago, one of the places that I really enjoyed was Rock Creek Park near the National Zoo. Another little place that was nice to just walk through was a little garden strip just east of the Smithsonian Castle (the US Capital side). It’s not going to blow you aways by the design of the place but it is great in terms of being a cozy little nook to hang out and spend some time in.

Thanks Katya! I will check it out. . .I switched to the digital format and as a result have not been reading it as much as i should. tisk-tisk. . .

Nice place to start – thank you.

Wow, excellent resource, my thanks!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register