LARE TESTING HOAX!?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    Keith
    Participant

I took a redline review and 99% of the comments were good in nature….”good swale, trees saved, good drainage”….and I still failed because two of my swales, only in one spot, were under 2%. I believe they were around 1%. There’s the letter of the law and the spirit of the law, and anyone in their right mind could look at my test and see quite obviously that I know what I’m doing.
    I took a survey to rate my redline review experience and I told them they need to get their heads out of their asses and know the difference between a minor mistake and abilty to control runoff.
    As someone in another post said “we are their piggy banks”.

Thomas J. Johnson
    Participant

I haven’t taken the LARE yet but I know well enough not to offend someone who is going to be grading my test.

The only issue I see with the test is that it is not held more often, like quarterly. Then again, I hope to pass it on the first shot… crossing fingers. I think the testing frequency and costs are designed to keep the riffraff out of the profession.

Thomas J. Johnson
    Participant

A planted swale at 1% will not drain. If the vignette asks for 2%, why would 1% be acceptable?

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

… tell that to the person with the basement apartment after the 25 year rain storm.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Some of the riffraff (like me) make it through in spite of the cost.

MLCC
    Participant

Thomas,

What do mean, “I know well enough not to offend someone who is going to be grading my test.”

Thomas J. Johnson
    Participant

As an unemployed BSLA I’m riffraff right now too. There is no way I could take the test, short of beg, steal or borrow the money from someone else…

Thomas J. Johnson
    Participant

I mean that I would almost guarantee that there are people from CLARB / LARE reading these posts… and maybe taking notes.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Riffraff are more fun at parties 🙂

Theodore Tegen
    Participant

That would be unethical at best and probably illegal. It would be blatant discrimination, tough to prove though.

Keith
    Participant

Good! Take notes! I have spoken with many national board test writers….architecture, engineering, nursing, optometry, BAR……and they are all surprised that CLARB has gotten away with a 37% passing rate for so long. Especially when they charge almost $400 bucks a pop.

I really do hope CLARB is reading this forum. We’re on to you and I claim shenanigans!!!!

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

The graders can read all they like, can hang posters of you on their dart boards, but they will have no idea on whose test they are grading so it really won’t matter.

Everyone wants respect for the profession, but then they get bent out of shape when tough standards are applied that they don’t meet right away. Everyone wants the standard to be just a hair below their own abilities – anyone below that is not worthy and everything above their own abilities is overkill. These CLARB people do the best hat they can to make YOU respected when you pass.

So what do you want? An easy test so that everyone and his uncle can call himself an LA? Everyone is bitching about how hard it is to get a job now. People are saying that they think they need a MLA for entry level. Do you think an easy LARE is going to make it more or less competitive?

You people are up against so much competition just in shear numbers.Now you want to level the playing field even more so you can get lost in a bigger crowd?

Work your butt off, keep taking the test, hope that it separates you once you pass, or you will need a Phd to get an entry level job.

If they say 2%, it means 2%.It means you either don’t listen, don’t understand, or you are sloppy. It does not matter whether you understand. It matters that the person who follows your plan builds what is intended to be built. Not understanding that this is important is far worse than making a graphic or calculation error. You should fail.

MLCC
    Participant

uh, .. yeah.. that’s a pretty far out there speculation. I seriously hope that LARE graders have better things to do than sit on this message board stalking people who might be bad-mouthing CLARB and the LARE, making notes of their names, and then docking them points while grading one of their vignettes. LOL.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ouch! That cut deep. But I agree with you. Lower the standards and well be just glorified garden hobbyist.

A big part of the LARE is can you follow basic instructions. You have to give it to them just the way they want it – LITERALLY.

Heather Smith
    Participant

Well…getting this off your chest do you feel better? I haven’t sat for them yet but my husband has…and passed them…some on the first try, one second, and one third! I think our university has a great grading and drainage class(I can say this after crying in it! haha)…but I am not sure what complaining about it will do. I think it is necessary. Lawyers take the bar and some struggle with that as well. Almost all professions have exams in order to become official. That is just the way it is.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 88 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register