“Laser Tape”

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

I thought I’d share this.

I don’t know how many of you use laser rangefinders or have tried them out. I’ve been using a cheap Stanley Fat Max from Home Depot (<$100) for the last 5 years or so. It has definitely saved time, but the performance has always been a little iffy. The distances have all been great, but getting the shot has been the sticky issue – too bright, too dark, wet surface, …. It is supposed to be good for 100′,but anything over 50 gets difficult. I’d say that I probably get 70% of my measuring done with it (mostly locating details not shot by surveyors or designing without a survey).

The engineering firm that I have been working for uses Leica rangefinders – very nice, but $500+ is more than I want to spend on something that I might leave behind or run over. A few weeks ago I saw a Bosch rangefinder in a tool store that is rated to 165′. Since I have a lot of trees to locate this week, I thought I’d try it out. It was worth the $150. There was not a shot that did not register (unless it was interfered with by branches – then I just shot it again until I got ot). I took many shots over 90′ – definitely out performs the Fat May. I do have laser viewing glasses which help a lot to see the beam.

Does anyone else use these?

Jared Chase
    Participant

At first I was a little worried using a laser for measuring but I’ve found them very accurate.  I’ve used the Bosch model in construction and it works very good.  I’ll have to try it on locations now also!  I’d definitely recommend the Bosch as well.

Peter Ward
    Participant

I use a Hilti p30, £100 ebay difficult to find in Europe really most seem to have come via the states. Latest Leica outdoor model is too expensive, + to many bells and whistles. There are more recent Hilti models and supposedly 200m outdoor is achievable although in reality bright sunlight cuts the range down a heck of a lot.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register