Lollipop Street Trees

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Tanya Olson
    Participant

The true answer is that there is no tree that restricts its growth to the top 5′ of its structure.

Well, some are right – a pollarded tree does. Grow a Sycamore for 25 years and pollard it. Oops. No room for the roots. Mulberries would grow faster and you can also pollard them. Oops. Now your sidewalk and mural is covered with purple splats of bird droppings. So you are left with species that block the mural the least. I think you are too cold for Palo Verde or Seguaro, but I’d start thinking along those lines or find a metal sculptor to make metal trees. Seriously.

The fact that your client wouldn’t allow you to design a low perennial or shrub landscape that would enhance the colors of the mural, potentially control parking on the rolled edge curb and suit the site must be maddening. Not to completely diss your clients but they clearly don’t see plants as things that are alive. I feel for you!

Goustan BODIN
    Participant

That wall sure needs something to liven it up. Personally, and given a choice, I’d go for vines and cover the whole thing up.

How about something very slow growing, columnar, evergreen, that could be pruned once in a while ?

Not too familiar with northern trees any more, but maybe something like a cypress, Chamaecyparis, Thuya ? There are small varieties if I remember correctly.

If cannot find right tree, how about very light (and cheap) planted structure, used repetitively, like a trellis ?

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register