meaning of art in landscape

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    baink
    Participant

i want to know the meaning of art in landscape….everyone,can u give ur idea about it

Thomas J. Johnson
    Participant

The whole designed landscape should be art. The un-designed landscape is art too. 

If you want to talk about art as being separate from the environment then that’s exactly what it is. An element in space that serves no specific purpose. It is not lighting, a bench, stairs, railing, grading, wall or planting, although those components can be artful. Art, in it’s purest form, serves the sole purpose of evoking a response in the participant.

In well designed landscapes art and utility become indistinguishable from one another. Likewise, observer and environment become one. Arizona Center comes to mind…

Cal
    Participant

I suppose it’s similar to why a person puts plants in their homes.   There is a relationship between manmade and naturemade that needs expression. 

It’s not functional in the rational sense, but enhances the space and experience – perhaps emotionally or is visually interesting, responds to it’s environment, or the elements in some way (sound sculptures, for instance), etc. 

Are you questioning the purpose, merit or aesthetics of manmade objects in a “natural” environment?

Trace One
    Participant

If the designed landscape is art, then where are the landscapes designed to provoke, to cause thought, to jolt the viewer politically or visually…

I have always felt that landscape should be more craft than art..

You may have artistic elements, but to call landscape design ‘art’ I think is incorrect..It MOSTLY (not always..) serves a function. or creates a function, and the aesthetic sense does not go beyond the beautiful, or the attempt at the beautiful.Art is not necessarily beautiful, except in that it is truthful..

I have always felt Prospect Park, my favorite park in the world, is incredible craftsmanship..

So what about the comprehensive book, “Art into Landscape, Landscape into art,” by Sir Kenneth Clark, where does he fall on this argument?

I’ll let you know when I figure it out..

ps, just because it is ‘artificial’ does not make it art..

Matthew Ignatowicz
    Participant

I love the use of art,from a little statue off by its self or the fountain in the centerpiece.This is all soothing to someone and it gives each person there own time when viewing all to themselves.Plants are art in itself.All you Landscape architects are creating art each design you do.When I design an outdoor space and put my pergola product up ,i try to create the same soothing space.so a meaning would be .”A visual enhancement within a space of nature”.

Thomas J. Johnson
    Participant

The new LAM has an article on Sasaki’s Sea Pines resort on Hilton Head Island that you might enjoy…

steve phillips
    Participant

Your question is both intriguing and confusing at the same time, since I don’t fully understand the question, it is difficult to precisely answer it. Yet the concept interests me immensely.

When you say, “landscape”, do you refer to “landscaping” or the “built environment” or non-developed land?

When you say, “art”, do you refer to fine art or craft?

Sorry I don’t remember the names of the couple who draped the Grand Canyon in orange nylon or did a installation in Central Park, N.Y.C. with the bright orange series of “archways” throughout. Or Banksey, who uses sometimes uses repetitive graffiti? Or do you refer to the Antwerp train station, “do re me”, and some of the french performance art?

As a reaction to the static town square equestrian statute, there is an art movement, sometimes referred to as “environmental art”. A rough definition of this would be that most public art of the past could be moved almost anywhere and be equally valid. Whereas, “environmental art” is extremely site specific. This art is done for a specific spot and directly relates to its immediate environment, so it is only at home at the exact spot for which it is created.

This is an excellent subject, but I am sorry I can’t answer the question. I assume you do not refer to the token statue of Venus or sundial as a focal point to a formal garden.

I encourage all L.A.’s to youtube some performance art and see the movie, Exit Through the Gift Shop. Fascinating stuff!!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register