MLA at University of Texas-Austin

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums EDUCATION MLA at University of Texas-Austin

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Laura C
    Participant

Has anyone gone through the Landscape Arch. program at the University of Texas Austin?  Even though it’s only been accredited for a few years, it seems like has really good faculty and a pretty decent program. 

Does anyone have any information about it? 

Are there any current students at Land8 who I could talk to? 

Octavio Ulloa
    Participant

Laura,
    I would also like to know more about this program at UT. I currently live in Austin and when I say that I’m applying to MLA programs everyone automatically assumes I’ll be applying to Texas A&M, which apparently has a very strong program. Most people don’t know that UT has a program.
    UT, like some other programs, is offering a summer academy for those interested in architecture and the design fields, including L.A. I’m considering applying. These programs are aimed at giving people a taste of the studio environment, collaboration and intensity. You might want to look at this option at schools near you.

If someone is out there who has gone through UT’s MLA ,or other design programs, could please offer some insight, it would be greatly appreciated.

Laura C
    Participant

Hey— did you end up applying to landscape architecture programs for this fall? i would be applying for next year (2011) probably!

Octavio Ulloa
    Participant

Laura,
    No, I didn’t apply this year. I will also be applying for the fall 2011 semester. I met a person that has a undergrad degree in landscape architecture from Purdue and is currently working with the parks & rec dept. here in Austin. We began talking about UT’s grad program and he attended the open house for potential students this past fall. He had a lot of positive things to say about the program and thought that it looked really strong and will probably apply. From what I hear the program has a very heavy design and theory based approach/influence. My next step is to begin researching the professors and see if interest match up. Where are you at in your process? Octavio

Laura and Octavio,
    I am Alfonso, a MLA graduating student at UTSOA and I have to say that my experience here has been great. Despite the program is relatively young, the faculty members have put a lot of effort on building a very competitive program. The faculty are excellent both in the professional and personal realm, and the learning environment in the school is pretty unique, having strong ties with the architecture program, with which we share some advance design studios. The program has a strong and very original theoretical series of courses on history, technology, ecological, representational, humanist issues, etc… Given by professors like Fritz Steiner, Mirka Benes, Hope Hasbrouck, Jason Sowell, Allan Shearer, and other faculty members. The practical side is given through a series of studios, very intense with a collaborative approach among students. In the advance studios, sharing and collaborating with architects and urban designers, doing site visits, etc… A veritable learning experience. We also have great resources in the school, like several laser cutters, a CNC router, a woodshop, a pretty decent computer lab with 3d printers, an excellent library etc, etc. Finally the school community is very active, organizing competitions, and extracurricular activities for what Austin is a very friendly city.
    I strongly recommend you to apply here. If you have more questions I’ll be glad to answer them!

David Farber
    Participant

You should go to a more substantial landscape architecture program that has roots. Harvard, LSU, Penn would all be the best. Roots help get jobs afterwards.

David,

If you have just graduated from LSU and only 3 persons out of 15 have found a job… I would still recommend people to come to UT Austin. By the way, congrats on you job! 🙂

David Farber
    Participant

Wish I could see how other schools are fairing with people getting jobs.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register