Non-RLA’s using the title Landscape Architect

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION Non-RLA’s using the title Landscape Architect

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 196 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Side: How come you could write the word a$$ several times and when I did once it was edited into %$#%. I even tried to post “life is h@rd on everyone” and they zapped it. What gives?

Alan Ray, RLA
    Participant

Craig, it’s because I’m the editor.

Alan Ray, RLA
    Participant

not really… I tried to write butch and it was censored…

Jon Quackenbush
    Participant

Classy.

Here we go.  Don’t take the high road all of sudden my man and accuse me of not respecting my elders (the first time since I was 7 that I was accused of that–memories!).  I can point out several condescending statements you have made, so explain how that inspires respect? Manners are a two way street after all and respect has to be earned, not automatically awarded based on seniority.  Crotchety old men demand manners at all times regardless of circumstances from perceived subordinates.  They are funny.  Plus, I was making a pun when saying I was a wise-ass.  I am actually a dip-sh*t.  Or RDS (Registered Dip Sh*t) in the State of New York.  I have the proper documentation to satisfy A&E.

Placing the insecurity label on me, also makes little sense.  I am insecure about some things, such as my finances, my lead guitar playing, swimming in deep waters, picking out safe mushrooms to eat while in the forest and crossword puzzles.  My job title is definitely not one of them. 

I must also add that I am aware and honor most laws (although some are just plain silly — like the one in Tennessee that says it is illegal to catch a fish using a lasso.  I say if someone could actually do that, good for them). 

Finally, I am not (and i’ll say this again) in any professional situation improperly claiming, presuming nor using the title landscape architect.  Ever.  When asked what I do for a living (which as you know occurs 99.9999% of the time in social situations where legal liability is not a concern–because I tend to stay away from social gatherings where I have to sign a legal waiver of full disclosure) I will say I am a landscape architect.  Why?  I like to add voice to this profession that I f******* adore.  To a lot people, I am the first member of the profession that they have ever met.  Now they know what we do.  That is awful isn’t it!

When professionals aware of the legal distinction between landscape architects and junior landscape architects / landscape designers are present, I know how to introduce myself:  I reference my job title, which is landscape designer.  I am in no way ashamed of that, nor insecure about that because there is no reason to be.

Why this offends you so deeply I do not know, as you may surmise, really do not care.  To be honest though, I’d love to grab a craft beer with you sometime, my best friends are those whom I vigorously disagree with, debate is fun.  If you are ever in NY, the first one is one me.

Alan Ray, RLA
    Participant

see? I did that.

Michael Todoran
    Participant

Now, to unthread myself from these posts. They are getting a little silly

1 year left in my MLA program at OHIO state. I will be sure to put LIAT on my business cards and website until I am an RLA.

Now, to unthread myself from these posts. They are getting a little silly

Alan Ray, RLA
    Participant

Brandam,

show me one time I referred to anyone as a kid….however, I am beginning to think it’s an approptiate term…maybe boy or girl….because the level of intellectualism here is obviously not adult in nature….

….and for your info. I am NOT a member of ASLA…so,,,,you can abide by their policies if you like. I found no benefit in being a member for 15 years so I quit some 22 years ago…so, please try not to be so presumptuous abot people you know nothing about.

I also find it curious that you do not tell in your profile if you are a landscape architect or not…..

Jon Quackenbush
    Participant

Did he offend you by “presuming” that you were a member of the ASLA?  Jeeze.

Brandm, you deserve a lot of credit for being an adult and trying cool out a dialogue that was deteriorating into something not of the standard of the Land8 or the profession.

Thanks man, I will follow your example. 

My new title & acronym on my business card (and the way I will introduce myself for the next couple of years):

Jon Quackenbush, ASLA, ULAWITALDUTPTE (Unregistered Landscape Architect Who Is Tecnically A Landscape Designer Until They Pass The Exam)

Matt Boisseau
    Participant

The Cheif’s duties are far removed from the technical aspects of plans and specs as are most executive level professionals in the design field. The Cheif is not reviewing grading plans or parking plan layouts, Ok? With that in mind, holding a license for these levels of jobs is generally not emphasized as a requirement. Among other qualities, a history of success, a diverse background, a solid reputation, and being an effective leader is. There are plenty of unlicensed leaders in our profession.

Douglas M. Rooney
    Participant

Alan you are killing me…….that is even funnier than Jon’s fake phone call.

mauiBob
    Participant

Craig, as I stated here weeks ago (can’t believe this thread is still going) that its all about ego. Calling yourself a landscape ARCHITECT is more impressive than landscape DESIGNER. When I was a landscape designer several years ago, I introduced myself as an Urban designer…which was actually true and printed on my business card.

earthworker
    Participant

Um..that’s the ASLA code of conduct.  ASLA who has no affiliation whatsoever with state licensure boards or governing bodies.  That’s the same ASLA who is currently completely irrelevant to the industry and has no idea the industry is in shambles.  ……Say whatever you want.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sad but true.

jennifer Bloch
    Participant

I’m new to this thread – but having recently and successfully taken the multi-choice sections of the LARE, I thought it was worth noting that while one may not need to be a member of the ASLA, the LARE still tests for ASLA codes of conduct. And until one has taken these tests and understands the process of passing them, one will not fully understand the value of earning the title Landscape Architect. It is something to be earned not just taken for whatever convenience…that’s all…

Alan Ray, RLA
    Participant

That’s cute that you feel that way….ASLA is what we thought 40 years ago would make our profession the beacon of design and innovation that it should be….

Someone in  here please inform me of ASLA”s  achievements in support or promotion for our profession.

A new and improved magazine?  I can’t even get my bifocals dialed in on the small print. Does it exist in audio?

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 196 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register