Non-RLA’s using the title Landscape Architect

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION Non-RLA’s using the title Landscape Architect

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 196 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I wish I had said that-Brett

Chupacabra
    Participant

The LARE battery does not challenge the planning spectrum of landscape architecture nearly as rigorously as it should.  Why does an entire branch of what LAs do get virtually passed over?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Things operate a little differently here. I guess chartered LA = registered LA, please correct me if I’m wrong.

The real issue is that a person should have enough integrity to say what they are. People shouldn’t have to do background checks to know if a person’s legitimate. Believe me I wouldn’t go to the UK and call myself a chartered landscape architect no matter how many awards I’ve won. I’d stand in line and earn the title out of respect for the profession.

If a person is competent, excellent and on the top of their game, they’ll have no problem passing the exam.

Thomas J. Johnson
    Participant

That’s exactly what I say… If someone introduces me as a landscape architect, I’ll go so far as to delicately correct them and say that I’m in the process of working towards licensure. Again, it’s an important part of the process and of our collective story. The more people hear about the difficulty of becoming a landscape architect, the more they’ll respect and appreciate the profession.

Brett T. Long
    Participant

Tim,  Why not just work hard, study and get your lincense.  This is the law in California:

5640. Unlicensed Person Engaging in Practice — Sanctions

It is a misdemeanor, punishable by a fine of not less than one hundred dollars ($100) nor more than five thousand dollars ($5,000) or by imprisonment in the county jail not exceeding six months, or by both such fine and imprisonment, for a person to do any of the following without possessing a valid, unrevoked license as provided in this chapter:

(a) Engage in the practice of landscape architecture.
    (b) Use the title or term “landscape architect”, “landscape architecture,” “landscape architectural,” or any other titles, words, or abbreviations that would imply or indicate that he or she is a landscape architect as defined in Section 5615.
    (c) Use the stamp of a licensed landscape architect, as provided in Section 5659.
    (d) Advertise or put out a sign, card, or other device that might indicate to the public that he or she is a licensed landscape architect or qualified to engage in the practice of landscape architecture.

http://www.latc.ca.gov/laws_regs/pa_all.shtml#5615.

Tim Brown
    Participant

I am I’ve passed four of six exams…just stirring the pot

Tim Brown
    Participant

What about the opposite…..Do landscape architects think they are qualified to be called a landscaper (what!!???….heaven forbid!!!) with everything which that entails?

There seems to be a general tone of superiority among most commenting here, that they somehow posses more knowledge or better knowledge than those engaged in other aspects of the landscape disciplines.

How many landscape architects turn to landscaping when they are left out in the cold by a lay-off?

How many are actually qualified to do the nuts and bolts work though? I would guess few and far between…..

Chupacabra
    Participant

I think the RLAs have a fair point about guarding their title (backed by law, too). “Landscape Architect” has a very specific definition in most states, one that is regulated.  The same simply can’t be said for landscapers (or planners).  The key, I believe, is that people with Teh Stamp have documented their profession training and experience using a legal, publicly recognized framework and have accepted legal liability for what they do. 

I also think using the LARE to balkanize a profession already threatened by architecture, engineering, and planning is a poor strategy if the overarching goal is to strengthen landscape architecture.  We need to be more inclusive without watering down Teh Stamp and that’s a much bigger conversation than this thread.

Alan Ray, RLA
    Participant

Well said Craig…and to quote my childhood hero Popeye, “I yam what I yam”………

To the rest of ya’ll who don’t have a problem with fraud in the profession….you don’t even want to know how silly you sound….grow up, pay your dues, invest the time and become registered…..then you can call yourself what ever you want….

and again, I think ASLA has done a terrible job in this area….

Alan Ray, RLA
    Participant

it is if you live in a state where you have a title law and you are not registered….

is that too hard to understand or do you not understand the word fraud ???

Anonymous
    Inactive

David – First I will apologize for the “good luck on your exam comment”. I know I didn’t have to go there.

A person who possesses the title registered landscape architect meets the minimum standard of the profession. That doesn’t mean that they’re competent or know everything there is to know about site development. Just like a person that’s a doctor of medicine can also be incompetent, but regardless that person has earned the right to be called doctor.

I have accumulated a great deal of plant knowledge over the years, but I would never call myself a master gardener or horticulturalist. I haven’t earned the right to. I have enough respect for the people with these titles to stay in my lane.

Definition: in·teg·ri·ty – 1. quality of always following your moral principles. the quality of always behaving according to the moral principles that you believe in, so that people respect and trust you 1a. quality of following professional rules and standards. the quality of behaving according to the rules and standards of your job or profession

“Integrity” that’s your word David.

I’m just an ordinary guy from the mid-west, but I would immediately question the integrity of a person using a title that they are prohibited from using by their chosen profession. If you meet me and I told you my name was Fred and I was from Australia and you later find out my name is Craig and I’m actually from the States, wouldn’t you look at me with a certain amount of suspicion?

Jon Quackenbush
    Participant

I’m not interested in using the title (as seldom as that may be) so much for the ‘prestige’ (because I dont think the word ‘architect’ carries much prestige today anyway), but because it better represents what I do and how I think.

Right on Nick, that is where I am coming from as well.  How I speak to others about what I do and using a term that most often best describes the scope and application of my work is twelve steps removed from how I actually bill my work, and I don’t believe it is in anyway disingenuous to make that distinction like others may in this debate.  It in no way harms the profession, or lessens the accomplishments of those who are Registered Landscape Architects.  My business card doesn’t say RLA, I don’t charge the billable rate of an RLA, and I cannot stamp drawings like an RLA, but I am doing the same exact work, and most often I do more design work than a Registered Landscape Architect.  That is the plain reality of it.  I am working towards becoming an RLA and it will happen, and I will have earned it right way, by putting in the time just live everyone else who came before me.

I promise that the day that I do become an RLA I will not get bent out of shape the moment I come across “a kid” who describes him or herself as a Landscape Architect.  Why would I?  If they aren’t yet an RLA they themselves know what the corresponding professional limitations are because of it, and are likely working very hard themselves to get registered not for the title but for the doors that will open for them in professional practice.

If something as trivial as that elicits an emotional response, I suggest taking up yoga or something similar and releasing some of your inner tension.  Having a bunch of kids who know what landscape architects are and passing that information on to others who don’t is actually a good thing.  This profession needs as many advocates and educators as possible.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Maybe you’re on to something there Alan. Could be that besides not promoting the profession very effectively, maybe they’re giving a false since of entitlement because they grant full membership to fresh graduates as long as the send the check in?  Perhaps being able to have ASLA behind their names has created some little monsters.

Anonymous
    Inactive

EUREKA!!! After 100+ posts you’ve finally got it. See Brett T. Long’s last post. He was even kind enough to highlight it for you. It refers to California law, but most of the states have something very similar. Talk about not seeing the forest for the trees.

Alan Ray, RLA
    Participant

Dood, Karl, that’s what we are all saying! read the thread man….in the USA it is law! I realize you’re a student with much to learn, but get a clue. How many of us do you think are not from USA in this discussion?

You think I’m rude?  oh, I’m sooooo sorry. You really know how to hurt someones feelings….I’m gonna go cry myself to sleep….

Craig, Rock on!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 196 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register