Preparation for MLA program

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums EDUCATION Preparation for MLA program

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mark Simmons
    Participant

Does anyone have advice on the best way to prepare for an MLA program? I’m starting a program next Fall and have time now to take some evening/weekend classes. From what I’m hearing, the drawing and computer courses related to LA in most universities leave a lot to be desired. I’m taking some drawing and composition, but was wondering if it would worth taking some CAD, or painting, or more design classes. Any advice?

Mark Simmons
    Participant

Thanks Amy,
    I’ve been taking coursework with Berkeley’s Extension program (history, graphics, intro to design, etc) but am hopefully beginning an MLA program in Tennessee Virginia next year. I like the idea of learning more hand drawing and drafting skills, which I think take much longer to learn than computer skills, but am not really sure how relevant to the profession it is.I know computers but have never worked with any design software. I wasn’t sure if I should take some computer classes this far in advance of possibly using those skills later in an internship, since I would imagine one has to practice at it in lieu of losing those skills.
    Mark

Mark Simmons
    Participant

I’ve seen other students who’ve had Mike Lin’s workshop, and as professional as it looks, it kind of all looks the same to me.

nca
    Participant

Mike Lins courses leave something to be desired from what I’ve heard and seen 😉
    The graphics in those workshops are kind of outdated and the rendering style isn’t being used so much anymore, though I’m sure alot of folks have created some derivative style of their own from his. Learn how to draw in scaled perspective without straight edge or scales, learn to draw a measured perspective from a scaled plan, learn to draw in plan. The rendering style will come later. Take some art classes on sketching, plant id is good too. I think the jury is still out on the relevance and applicability of LEED and any decent office should pay for your portion after graduation. I dont think there is much to be specifically applied, feasibly, in an academic studio setting. Think about what you might want to get out of the program, ie urban planning, horticultural knowledge, phytoremediatory design, residential applications, etc..or just dive in and see what happens 😉

nca
    Participant

^^^ Agreed 99%..

I had very minimal exposure to photoshop and the Adobe suite before entering the program and feel it gave me a huge advantage. Just knowing how to open the programs and make a new layer will give you a 5% advantage 😉 Autocad is good to familiarize yourself with as well, but I think you’ll get all that for the most part in the program..good luck!

nca
    Participant

I disagree that LEED is a “tool.” Many professors and professionals, both accredited and non-accredited alike generally agree, as do I, that LEED is much more of a marketing tool than a skill or tool to be utilized on any given project. The other argument I’ve heard to this is that if you don’t practice on LEED projects, it is easy to forget. LEED accreditation is based on a standardized test requiring alot of memorization of specifc figures and “regulations.” Another layer to the argument is whether or not LEED is actually relevant or applicable to landscape architecture. The current exam you could take is LEED-NC (New Construction), which as far as I know id generally focused on new construction of buildings, ie mechanical, structural systems, materials, etc. There is a small part on actual site design and, again, as far as I can see much of it is fairly obvious. There will be another type of accreditation in 12 months or more called LEED-ND (neighborhood development) which focuses on more planning aspects. Just my two cents 😉

Mark Simmons
    Participant

Thanks for all the great advice! Wow, I’m still not sure what to do but love hearing the conversation.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register