quotations, sayings, proverbs……….Landscape Architecture

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION quotations, sayings, proverbs……….Landscape Architecture

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Jofelia E. Tuburan
    Participant

does anybody know any quotations, sayings or proverbs about landscape architecture?

please post them here..:D thanks!

this is for my journal…school stuff.. 

searching the internet didn’t help much..

i only found these:

“You can neither lie to a neighbourhood park, nor reason with it. ‘Artist’s conceptions’ and persuasive renderings can put pictures of life into proposed neighbourhood parks or park malls, and verbal rationalizations can conjure up users who ought to appreciate them, but in real life only diverse surroundings have the practical power of inducing a natural, continuing flow of life and use.” 
    ― Jane JacobsThe Death and Life of Great American Cities

“A garden path,’ write the landscape architects Charles W. Moore, William J. Mitchell, and William Turnbull, ‘can become the thread of a plot, connecting moments and incidents into a narrative. The narrative structure might be a simple chain of events with a beginning, middle, and end. It might be embellished with diversions, digressions, and picaresque twists, be accompanied by parallel ways (subplots), or deceptively fork into blind alleys like the althernative scenerios explored in a detective novel.” 
    ― Rebecca Solnit
    Wanderlust: A History of Walking

Trace One
    Participant

“Only the mountain has lived long enough to listen objectively to the howl of the wolf.” Aldo Leopold, “Thinking like a Mountain”

Boilerplater
    Participant

“A great distance separating work and home creates intolerable rifts in people’s lives” -Christopher Alexander in The Timeless Way of Building”  Well, it was something like that.  Though that may be seen as more of a planning quote.  He has some other good ones, such as the need for south-facing outdoor spaces.

Barbara Peterson
    Participant

“People -despite their artistic pretentions, their sophistication, and their many accomplishments – owe their existence to a six-inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains.” (don’t know the author – my soils prof had this posted on the wall with many other soils-related quotes…thought this was really good/true and does apply to l.a.)

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

“Green side up.” by every person who ever rolled a car window down when sod is being installed.

“It is difficult to design a space that will not attract people. What is remarkable is how often this has been accomplished.” William H. Whyte

Jon Quackenbush
    Participant

I willingly confess to so great a partiality for trees as tempts me to respect a man in exact proportion to his respect for them. ~James Russell Lowell

David J. Chirico
    Participant

“God made whales to be in the ocean, and God made camels to be in the desert, and He made man to be in the garden.  And everything we do should reflect that garden.”  Robert Marvin, FASLA

“You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.”

“It is the time you have devoted to the rose that makes the rose so important.”

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

If you are using the internet, look up Ralph Waldo Emerson and Henry David Thoreau quotes on nature.  There is a never ending supply.

Jon Quackenbush
    Participant

I also add the entire Thanksgiving Address by theHaudenosaunee, and the Words that Come Before All Else.

Tanya Olson
    Participant

One of my all-time favorites Henry!

Zach Watson
    Participant

I really like this one:

“To make pearls, you’ve got to eat dirt.”

– Frank Chimero

Alan Ray, RLA
    Participant

you want a proverb, so here’s a proverb, literally, “……he that is having dealings with the stupid ones will fare badly” proverbs 13:20

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register