Rain Catchment Shade Structure

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Lindsay Reul
    Participant

I’m looking for a shade structure that can be integrated with a rain catchment system. I’m facilitating a design that is centered on showcasing Water Management and Runoff Mitigation. Most of the attractive shade structures are fabric sails. Does anyone know of a manufacturer who designs attractive metal shade structures?

Jonathan J. Bob
    Participant

Lindsey,
    What size structure are you looking to build? I’ve been toying w/ the idea of creating a roofed structure over an outdoor kitchen/seating area that would incorporate a green roof. The size at 20′ x 20′ would be managable for residential scale without being cost prohibitive. Additional runoff would be collected for irrigation use. Pehaps you could design something.

Jonathan

Steve Kofron
    Participant

Depending on your budget and location, try sketching/designing your own, checking books/web for ideas. Steel is often fabricated locally, or the nearest city. Try visiting a fab shop owner with your sketches. Not a fence company, but more of a structural steel shop. Often, square tubing or even wide flange beams for posts and framing – it can be similar in design to wood shade structures, or even have wood incorporated. I would discourage metal corrugated roofing, unless you really desire the sound effects. enjoy !

Lindsay Reul
    Participant

So what I’m hearing is this is not necessarily a prefabricated request… Well this is a start! The shelter is for a commercial space that would need to cover at least a 50×150 SF space in order to not look diminutive. I’m not married to the idea of metal, but was in search of a material that was quite impervious; although the idea of a greenroof is intriguing. Thank you kindly for your suggestions. I believe I’m headed in the direction of a landscape structure that relies on art to double as a showcase for water conservation and a stylish feature that fits commercial high end design expectations.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register