RLA on Stationary and Business Cards

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION RLA on Stationary and Business Cards

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jamie Beatty
    Participant

I just received my LA license in Florida and I was wondering what are the correct ways to indcate this on my email stationary/ business cards. My two bosses have different opinions on whether it belongs on my email/ bus. cards. Please let me know what you guys think. I worked hard to achieve this in my career and I would like to have it recognized or at least known to those we work with. 

Regards,

Eric Gilbey
    Participant

First, Congratulations, Jamie! The change from non registered to registered is significant, or there wouldn’t be such an issue with states having laws which protect our rights to call ourselves landscape architects or to practice landscape architecture. If your company has different opinions, it seems like something they should settle as a company standard. For example, what is their standard for the registered LAs that are already in the office. Does the Title and Practice Law in Florida already designate what licensed landscape architect can call him/herself? What seems to be most used are RLA or the term Landscape Architect in the title that would be seen under your name. Again, it really has to be consistent with what your company decides is to be their standard.

Jamie Beatty
    Participant

Our company has no standards, the two other RLA’s in the office do not have RLA behind their names, they do have LEED and AICP on there. They are both principles so that is their title under their names. I currently have Associate below my name on my email and bus. card. I want to add RLA behind my name as an accreditation.

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

I add ” , RLA ” after my name. My email spells out “Registered Landscape Architect” under my name at work since no one knows what RLA means and there are so many alphabet collectors in the world today just to add to the confusion.

Amy Verel
    Participant

Ditto on the congratulations! I’m very surprised to hear that about your bosses; every RLA I’ve ever known or worked with/for has used it in their title on their correspondence.  I really can’t think of a good reason NOT to use it, particularly when you’re using other, lesser certifications (no offense to LEED and AICP, I’m just drawing a distinction between a license and a certification).  I’m curious to know if ASLA offers guidance on this but didn’t see anything in a quick peek at the website. If you’re on LinkedIn, you might pose this question on ASLA’s official group as well as here – it’s a pretty big group with professionals at all levels.  I’d be interested to hear the response (as well as additional comments on here, of course).

Jason T. Radice
    Participant

It depends on you office stationary. Technically, you are to add the letters to the end of your name. However, if you have multiple sets of letters or a really long name, you can put them on another line. Of course, in all caps. I generally drop the font size down a few notches so the caps are the same size as the lowercase.

If you are an RLA, it is important to put it on the card, even if your bosses say it does not. As does ASLA or AIA, AICP, LEED-AP so an and so forth. It demonstates the level of dedication, experience, and expertise of the individual (you in this instance) and can act as an important advertising device. Cards are not just for contact info anymore.

The company may have policies regarding titles, such as associate, landscape architect, project manager, and the like. But they should not prevent you from using your well deserved alphabet soup.

Jason T. Radice

RLA, ASLA, LEED-AP

Landscape Architect

Jonathan J. Bob
    Participant

What letters you put after your name will also depend upon in which state(s) you are licensed.

In New Jersey, LA’s are Licensed Landscape Architects.  Since I am licensed in NJ, PA and NY

I just use Landscape Architect after my name since in all states on licensed professionals can use

the title.  And for some reason whenever I see a lot of letter designations after someones name

(no matter what the profession) I tend to add (hopefully only in my head) M-O-U-S-E.  Now i’ve dated

myself.

Thomas J. Johnson
    Participant

lol

I’m going to start adding Esquire to my name, just for kicks…

Thomas J Johnson, Esq.

Computer Aided Design Cercopithecoid

Transparency-Enhancement Facilitator

External Project Processor

Jason T. Radice
    Participant

I love the overly complicated job titles.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register