Rock on the Wall

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Leslie B Wagle
    Participant

Here is a piece of art I really don’t understand, which leaves me cold, and I’m definitely not against art. I don’t think I’m offended by the expense, since we lavish money on other pieces even if there are great social needs at any time that could use the funds. It’s more like feeling that there are rocks in the mountains but what does moving one into a city exactly prove or say when it had no human touch other than being transported? Is it about daring to go under it and not get crushed – ie. a trust in the power of engineering? Or am I just too leaf and shade oriented to appreciate the stark impression it makes? 

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-29087184

Rob Halpern
    Participant

Perhaps it is one of those things that is much more powerful in person, but in the video it appears as a non-event. the “slot” it sits on overpowers the huge boulder (which you wouldn’t think is easy to do!). I’ll bet in the concept drawing the boulder seemed bigger and the slot smaller. The title has to do with levitation but there is no apparent sense of floating or raising up. It has none of the grace of a keystone

It wants to be

Tosh K
    Participant

I recall the renderings playing up the size of the boulder and the slot being more precarious – hopefully the scale of it makes the experience worth it.  Sometimes I get the same feeling with Serra’s torus sculptures, but the feeling of being inside is quite magical.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I don’t get it either. As far as I’m concerned it could have been made of textured and painted fiberglass or gunite.

Rob Halpern
    Participant

Since the transport of the rock was the entire story, that would have to have been recast (some pun intended) as

Anonymous
    Inactive

Like!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register