Sketchup acquired by Trimble

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Roland Beinert
    Participant

Google has sold sketchup to a company called Trimble: http://ww2.trimble.com/

In the FAQ it says they will still offer both the free and professional versions.

Tosh K
    Participant

the gps/surveying folks? interesting…

Andrew Spiering
    Participant

Awesome.  Thanks for sharing the news!  

Looks like the 3D warehouse will live on google for the time being… http://ww2.trimble.com/news/2012_releases.aspx

Frank Varro
    Participant

Maybe Trimble will take over where @Last left off and, unlike Google has, start fixing some bugs again.

Chris Whitted
    Participant

Important news.  Will be interesting to see where it leads.  At least it wasn’t AutoDesk. 🙂

Jason T. Radice
    Participant

I’m surprised AutoDesk didn’t snatch it up and shutter it or add in a bunch of useless new features that take vast more processing power and raise the price a few thousand dollars.

I’m not familiar with Trimble that much, but they primarily seem to a hardware company specializing in GPS. Hardware companies and mass software companies rarely get along with each other and just end up ruining both products, and then the company.

I expect some interesting new features (hopefully contour based 3d landform will be one of them) mostly related to their core buisiness. I also expet the price to jump dramatically now that it is out from under the billion-dollar umbrella of Google. Frankly, I’m surprised Google sold them, with their plans for world domination and all.

Wyatt Thompson, PLA
    Participant

I think this will be a good thing. I wasn’t terribly excited when Google bought @Last, and that move, though not perfect, brought a lot of good things to SketchUp. Trimble has much stronger ties to the AE and design industry so I’m hopeful that there will be better integrated tools for terrain modeling and BIM. I am most excited that the SketchUp team will be moving from Google to Trimble with the software so the core of the program should remain strong. 

Mike Fox
    Participant

Thanks for the news…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register