Specifying corten steel

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jeff McLane
    Participant

I am designing custom cor-ten steel planters and  understand the welds have to be specified correctly as they can rust at different rates than the steel. I want clean corners. Anyone done this before? Thanks

Thomas J. Johnson
    Participant

ESAB Dual Shield 8100-W (W8100) for Corten (A588).

FOX NICUCR for MMA electrodes and Union Painax for MIG

Jeff McLane
    Participant

Thanks Thomas. I appreciate it.

Nadia Malarkey
    Participant

A follow up question I have to this is whether or not 1/8″ thick Cor-Ten steel is adequate for a corner planter that measures 36″ H X 18″ W X 54″(exterior side), or should I go to a 3/16″ thickness?

Thanks 

Jeff McLane
    Participant

I would go 3/16th. 1/4″ will look the best, but more expensive.

Nadia Malarkey
    Participant

Thanks Jeff, the 3/16th is what I was leaning towards keeping in mind my client’s pocket book.

NM

Jana Pyskova
    Participant

Once some architect told me, that they do not use cor ten, because it looks all the time the same – and if they use “normal” steel, which gets rusty, it is more interesting: the thin scales of rust are peeling off and the surface is more colourful, living, changing…I know that it is not possible to use it for a planter at a marble terrace, but somewhere??? Does someone have an experience?

Glenn Arthur
    Participant

Hi Jana ,  I just saw your question about Corten vs Normal Steel and the rusting affects .  

Corten rusts without eating away at the metal as it builds up rust coats on top of the surface, whereas on normal steels the rust eats into the metal and eventually ( an quite easily ) the rust can eat away at the structural strength of the steel .   You also have to be careful that the rusted surface is not directly over paving as the rust from both Corten and normal Steels will bleed and stain over time. 

If a project needs a “rusted corten look” , we now use a special powder coat paint mix that looks almost identical to the rusted look without the “rust” problems. 

Regards Glenn 

K.C. Farrell
    Participant

Who manufacture’s the powder coat paint?  I am looking to create a corten wall but avoid the discoloration of the adjacent paving.

Thanks

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register