The value of Landscpe Architecture

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION The value of Landscpe Architecture

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Keven Graham
    Participant

We are looking for examples or studies that shows the real dollar value in using landscape architectural services to the public.  Does anyone know of a study or data on this topic?  The examples can be public or private type projects. They can be really anything like green infrastructure dollar savings to evidence based design and better work environments.

Chris Burnett
    Participant

Sorry I don’t know of any studies but I think National Geographic had a really good article on rooftop gardens in various parts of the world. Vancouver Canada had some really good ones too. One of the major local restaurants grows a lot of their fresh food right on their rooftop.

————————————-
    whistler accommodations

Keven Graham
    Participant

Thanks Chris, i will look that up. We are trying to build the economic case and pull together so we can use to showcase the profession to decission makers. This is for a chapter based initiative.

Dawid Magiera
    Participant

Hi Keven
    first things that cammes to my mind are publications from CABE spaces in UK, they have whole section on value of design,
    but two of those are on your subject “The value of public space” and “streets paved with gold” check this out.
    Hope this will help
    http://www.cabe.org.uk/publications/the-value-of-public-space
    http://www.cabe.org.uk/publications/paved-with-gold

Mike G
    Participant

Keven, The US Forest Service has been conducting alot of research on the value of trees in urban landscapes. They have developed software (i-Tree) for analysis and benefit assesment. So far they have used it in a few cities and gotten some positive results (ie. to the descission makers). These make a pretty good case for Urban Forestry but also for LA in proper site, planning, design, standards, etc. The USFS website is a great place to start.
    Great topic, very important to the profession, and excellant move on your chapter’s behalf.

Mike G
    Participant

ASCA is assembling a national database of BMPs
    http://www.asce.org/community/waterresources/nsbmpdb-extdesc.cfm
    Analysis is still in the works I believe. But their Bibliography is a pretty good starting point. I don’t know how much $$$ have been included.

Keven Graham
    Participant

Mike, good stuff and like this there is good information being formed by various engineers, we need to do this as Landscape Architects. The nice part of your recommendation is the green infrastructure examples are or can be work LA’s do as well. Thanks for giving your input.

jenny janis
    Participant

I believe there have been studies on the value of real estate next to parks. They found that real estate values increased if they were along the park, but the homes behind them, away from the park edge, did not see an increase in value. I don’t remember who did the study but perhaps if you search for “real estate value along park space”, you will find it.

There have also been some studies on the amount of pollution absorbed by trees. This was a study done in China and again I don’t recall the scientist names or affiliation.

Keven Graham
    Participant

Thanks for the input, these are good leads and we will be tracking them down. keep them coming if you all think of others or run across addition sources.

Brad M
    Participant

You may take a look at the new book Urban Design and the Bottom Line authored by Dennis Jerke and published by ULI. Dennis is a former colleague of mine, this subject came up constantly in discussions with him. He really put together a great resource to the profession. Here is a brief description of the book.

“How can you calculate the “design dividend”—the added value generated from good design before an investment is made? This book answers that question using verifiable figures and drawing on the experiences and lessons learned from developers, public officials, and designers. It explains what makes for good design, who benefits from it and how—the community, companies, employees, the public, city officials, and the developer. Lavishly illustrated with photographs and plans, this book makes the case for value-added design, showing the impact of trails, parks, and amenities; landscapes and streetscapes; transportation and urban waterways; the built environment, and conservation, on the bottom line. A final chapter explains how to put all of the pieces together for the greatest impact and value.”

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register