Travel Photography in Portfolio Q

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums PORTFOLIO & RESUME Travel Photography in Portfolio Q

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Luke Mancuso
    Participant

Hello all,

I am currently a senior landscape architect at SUNY ESF applying for jobs and I was wondering what people’s opinion on adding one’s travel photography in a portfolio? 

Robert Anderson
    Participant

Luke,

If you do add the photography make sure it is artistic and or tells a story or gives you a way to introduce some of your other interests. Employers like to know that you have this as a skill, was probably more important back with analog cameras, but it will more often than not provide for a topic of conversation.

Best of luck to you in your endeavors.

Rob Halpern
    Participant

What is it you wish to communicate to a prospective employer with these pictures?

Luke Mancuso
    Participant

thank you, i didn’t think of doing that

Luke Mancuso
    Participant

i was just hoping to communicate my eye for a good picture and willingness and desire to travel.

Rob Halpern
    Participant

When I review a resume I am looking for real content to help me get a sense of the candidate. If there is a lot of fluff it gets things off on the wrong foot.

You can certainly communicate your willingness to travel in easier ways.

But showing that you have an eye for design is more difficult to convey.

Consider carefully what photo to include and why. Don’t over do it.

And don’t neglect showing 1. that you have learned some useful stuff and

2. That you are eager to learn more useful stuff

Your competition is trying to make the case that they already know everything. Perhpas your edge is in showing that you know you do not

1] make sure it’s good photography.  not ‘your mom thinks it’s good because she loves you’ — but actually, good.  if it’s artistic or documentary — whatever — make sure it’s good.  everyone puts photos in a portfolio these days — if you can’t stand out in a positive way then ditch the idea.

2] Personally, I wouldn’t put any photography in a portfolio that wasn’t taken on a DSLR.  A good eye is something most designers have. (emphasis on most — not all), but if you can portray that you can use your camera like an artist uses their pens/pencils then you’re onto something.  if you can utilize light, motion, bokeh, etc. and show them you understand shutter speed, ISO, and aperture then you’re moving past everyone else shooting photos on #instagram or a point-and-shoot.

3] tell a story through layout.  if it’s a grid or if it’s loose — do something with the layout and presentation.  i see a lot of portfolios with photos that look sloppy.  in an age of indesign/illustrator (whatever your preferred method is) it’s critical that you can show you CARE about the finished product — your portfolio piece isn’t done when you present it to your professor — its’ done when it’s laid out in your portfolio.

4] keep it to 1 page at the most.  if it can be combined with sketches, graphics, etc. then that’s probably better — but if it’s a stand alone page of photos just make sure they’re actually, really, technically sound and beautiful images.

Luke Mancuso
    Participant

thank you very much-good info

Coordinates
    Participant

I would just recommend you to make sure to put only the good, self explanatory stuff. You are adding it to create a positive impact on the employers, so be sure that you do it in the right way. 

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register