Unemployed Recent Graduates

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Ahmad Ali Al-Gilani
    Participant

I agree, I am also old …just 47, things will improve, but it will take some time 1-2 years at least. However, if some one interested in overseas job, I am looking to fill a post in my office in Jeddah- Saudi Arabia. This is for a LA with 3-7 years experiance, though more experianced can be considered. CV’s can be sent to : aa.algilani@gmail.com

Tonie C.
    Participant

Thanks, I have had some non-design jobs in my time too and I can really relate to the “do what you gotta do” attitude. No sense dwelling on it, just pick yourself up and do what you can. I’m moving into LA because my design profession, ID, is too crowded with not enough jobs, I think you’re right that LA is top heavy which should help me out. Thanks for your good, solid comments.

I’m writing from Ireland, Europe where there’s growing concerns at the impacts on landscape architects – especially recent graduates and this year’s graduates. I’m developing a proposal for bi-lateral agreements between national landscape associations and institutes. This would see governments and agencies embacing and supporting professional bodies as they strive to retain and create jobs. It would faciliate graduate exchange across the planet, as we emerge from global economic recession, directing the talents of our exciting profession to areas of need; through job seeker internships and tax breaks for practices.. A letter is winding its way to A.S.L.A and the White House. I.F.L.A has been invited to support the initiative.
    I sense this may not have any direct relevance to you; but wish to assure you that we in Ireland, having welcome many foreign landscape architects to our shores during the recent ecnomic boom, are mindful of maintaing intenational dialgoue and preventing any move toward nationalistic protectionism. The proposal is in its infancy – so watch this space!

Best Wishes,
    Aidan J. ffrench MILI
    Past President, The Irish Landscape Institute http://www.irishlandscapeinstitute.com
    Member, EFLA European Landscape Policy Committee

Mike Tupa
    Participant

I’ll agree with some of the other “old timers”. This will pass. As meintioned in other responses, these slumps seem to happen in cycles, can almost be seen before they happen (in hind sight) and require designers to be creative in how they get themselves out there to earn a living doing what they enjoy doing.

I suggest you look for projects not just jobs. Expand your networks to see if you can help neighbors with their yards, check with local developers, land owners, new home owners, non-profit groups, landscape contractors, etc. and see where you can gleen work even if it is to design a flower bed down the street.

The reason for this is that you need to keep in the business and make new contacts. I can look back to the eraly 80’s and remember the neighbor’s yard I did a design for that belonged to an engineer who later hired me to do a small project and then several others and when the economy picked up so did he and when his firm split and his employees went working elsewhere I was working for several firms working on design projects ranging from highway beautification to neighborhood designs, and from there, etc. So small is good to start with especially in these times.

So, Go find a project while you look for a job. (and if the project is too big for just you to handle you can bring it with you to a job interview and offer it to the office if they give you a job.)

Roland Beinert
    Participant

That’s a good suggestion, and I recently found a project. My new landlord asked me to help take care of the areas surrounding the building. Right now it’s pretty barren.

D. Eric Bowyer
    Participant

Dear Brittany, Keep the spirit, I started out in 1981 from Ohio State University as a top student, I went to work in Southern California where they began to suffer from a slow down, we had to take a ten percent paycut with many senior people let go. Things finally stabalized until 1992 when the economy was crashing again. That one forced me to reevaluate things and I started my firm Site Concepts International with my Partner Peter Imrik who was a top student at Cal Poly Pomona. I remember people saying “Stay alive till 95” now its 2009 and we are still here. We have had to be very careful with things and we did have a little slowdown after Sept. 11th but we have kept things going and luckily we focused on an international market which has allowed us to travel the world and work on many exciting projects. So far we have not been hurt by the current slowdown and last year was our best year since we relocated to Florida from Northern California. Good luck and I am sure things will work out for use. Just be adaptable. Sincerely, Eric Bowyer, Site Concepts International

At least we are not graduating this year. I heard it is going to be worse for this graduating class. Hopefully everything works out and we all come up for the better.

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register