What is a landscape architect?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Shavawn Coleman
    Participant

Since I have started college, I have been asked that question many times. My short answer is anything to do with the outdoor environment. (knowing there is so much more to it!) What are some of the answers you have given to people who don’t really know what we do? Take a look here, http://www.colemanconcepts.com/what-is-a-landscape-architect/ to see what my take on landscape architecture is. I’m curious on how all of you interpret our profession. Also, what are some of the crazy, funny things people have thought our profession is. Here in Las Vegas, a random person thought a landscape architect were the guys in front of Home Depot.

Have a great day!!

Alan Ray, RLA
    Participant

My answer is simple. Architects design indoor spaces. Landscape architects design outdoor spaces.

However, I have designed several indoor atrium spaces in large buildings… so there goes the simplicity.

Shavawn Coleman
    Participant

I have come to find there aren’t simple answers when it comes to this profession, which is a good thing, I think. I have also come across where people don’t know what I do. Someone thought I was one of the laborers that hangs out in front of the nurseries!

Alan Ray, RLA
    Participant

40 years ago I thought ASLA would have done a lot to educate the public by now…..

have they?

Shavawn Coleman
    Participant

Actually they have. It is slow going don’t get me wrong. On their website they have the interactive site where you can learn more about the profession at http://www.asla.org/design/ Every April there is National Landscape Architecture Month. And at least here in Las Vegas, the landscape architecture community is always up to something. I am personally apart of COLABlv, where we are trying to get green space downtown, and slowly people are learning about the organization and the profession and it is hitting the media as well. Hopefully we can get more traction and get more knowledge of our profession out there!

ida
    Participant

According to the Landscape Urbanism Bullshit Generator, we “urbanize frictionless initiatives to enhance ephemeral systems”

Alan Ray, RLA
    Participant

verrrry funny….

Alan Ray, RLA
    Participant

It’s so slow that I have seen no change in 40 years….thanks asla.

the public still have no clue and it appears that most of us don’t either.

define yourself and don’t wait for anyone else to do it for you is my advise.

after all,  only you know what is is you do….

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register