What Program Will Replace Hand Graphics?

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums TECHNOLOGY What Program Will Replace Hand Graphics?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Mark Warriner
    Participant

Assuming as some point, sooner rather than later, computer graphics will equal the quality of hand drawn graphics, what program, application or platform will be use most in landscape architectural firms and departments?

Jon Quackenbush
    Participant

Hand graphics will always have their place. Computer graphics are great, but in my opinion, when done with a deft hand, actual hand renderings are more emotive and visually interesting than computer graphics, and they can be done just as fast or faster. there are exceptions of course, because I have seen some amazing computer renderings, however not as frequent as I have seen amazing hand renderings.

Have computers made oil and watercolor painting obsolete? No and they never will. Will there be museum wings with classic computer generated artwork? Not likely. As a culture, we will always value the craftsmanship of the handmade, and that will not change.

Jon Quackenbush
    Participant

nrs, that is a fantastic way to use sketchup, i would love to see some of those images. that is the best way to ‘stylize’ your model and make it less static….

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

There are many idle hands in the production end of landscape architecture right now. I think some of those hands are anything but idle in other areas including working on integrating hand drawing and rendering techniques with technology. I expect big advancements being available when the profession heats up again (doubt that there is big market for retooling right now). If advancements are made without a growing market, I’d expect the current big players will be able to buy those advancements and package them into their current programs …. I doubt that Autodesk will die any time soon.

Chris Whitted
    Participant

Computer graphics can already equal the quality of hand drawn graphics using Photoshop or any similar software. It’s just usually done with a tablet so… well I guess it’s still hand graphics? The medium, method, and tools are largely interchangeable to produce a specific look when it comes to the digital realm these days.

I see none of the current methods of graphic production ever going away – refined or redefined perhaps, but they’re all here to stay. We’ll only be adding to them with virtual, simulated, and augmented reality systems. The question of which program, app, or platform will be the industry standard is more of a business/commerce question than one of methodology.

Dave Toms
    Participant

As a current student, I agree. The future is not ‘Which one’, but ‘What Combination of the two’. We see the animators and GD students sketching out stacks of ideations on their tablets then organizing and evaluating in slideshows. the tactility of the digital pen is amazing. Digital line weight responds directly to touch. I even saw an animation demonstration by a retired Disney animator using a tablet PC. He was in his 70’s. We are starting to do it too. Very efficient. Plus you have the entire design evolution at your finger tips, instead of a pile of trace and napkins under the desk. These tablets will follow us to work, assuming there is any.

I will confess, i love the way an old sketch book smells.

Jon Quackenbush
    Participant

i am in the market for a tablet, but i don’t want to spend $400, so i will wait.

and i agree, my sketchbook goes with me everywhere… i love it as it starts to age, i am always sad to move on to a new one.

nca
    Participant

You dont need to at all.

I spent $100 on my latest tablet which is over four years old now and still working just fine. Prior to that I had a 3×5 hand-me-down wacom graphire that worked fine for a year until I upgraded. I sort of live by the mantra that having all the best tools doesnt make up for a lot of practice.

biancaKOENIG
    Participant

I’m looking for online sources for high resolution, photo-realistic tropical plants… to cut out and use in elevations and sketchup modeling. Yes, SketchUp is producing some pretty fancy graphics. But need more plants! Any suggestions?

Bob Luther
    Participant

the future is in the use of hands to create digital artwork. the skill of the hand is not going to die, it is the application of the stroke that will change. I have been running a graphics studio for landscape architects and developers and all of my work is digital either sketchup line work with photoshop under color, scanned images, or direct sketches on my tablet. I did buy a top of he line tablet because it saves me tons of time and the comfort level of it is so great, but as was pointed out the techniques can be mastered on a simple hand-me-down tablet. We have worked out ways to simulate markers, color pencil, acrylic paint, and watercolor. Software like Piranesi when used by a skilled artist can creat a huge range of beautiful renderings in a short period of time (and revision time is cut by 75%) Photoshop and illustrator are great tools but as a Landscape architect once told me when showing off a table to some of my co-workers 6 years ago, you still have to have the skill, talent, and eye for a good rendering, the machnie is only a tool like a pen, pencil, or marker.

Bob Luther
    Participant

the future is in the use of hands to create digital artwork. the skill of the hand is not going to die, it is the application of the stroke that will change. I have been running a graphics studio for landscape architects and developers and all of my work is digital either sketchup line work with photoshop under color, scanned images, or direct sketches on my tablet. I did buy a top of he line tablet because it saves me tons of time and the comfort level of it is so great, but as was pointed out the techniques can be mastered on a simple hand-me-down tablet. We have worked out ways to simulate markers, color pencil, acrylic paint, and watercolor. Software like Piranesi when used by a skilled artist can creat a huge range of beautiful renderings in a short period of time (and revision time is cut by 75%) Photoshop and illustrator are great tools but as a Landscape architect once told me when showing off a table to some of my co-workers 6 years ago, you still have to have the skill, talent, and eye for a good rendering, the machnie is only a tool like a pen, pencil, or marker.

Ryland Fox
    Participant

I thought people might be interested in this link. Shows step by step process of sketchup to photoshop for a watercolour style. quite interesting with good results

http://www.ronenbekerman.com/architectural-illustration-digital-2d-3d-watercolor-technique/

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register