10 Most Over Looked Women In Architecture

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION 10 Most Over Looked Women In Architecture

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Shavawn Coleman
    Participant

Very interesting article I found on ArchDaily.  Thought you guys would find it interesting too! Enjoy!!

The 10 Most Overlooked Women in Architecture History

Looking back on architectural history, you could be forgiven for thinking that women were an invention of the 1950’s, alongside spandex and power steering – but this couldn’t be further from the truth. Big names like Le Corbusier, Mies, Wright and Kahn often had equally inspired female peers, but the rigid structure of society meant that their contributions tended to be overlooked.  In honor of International Woman’s Day 2013, we take a look at the 10 greatest overlooked women in architectural history.

Read the rest: http://www.archdaily.com/341730/the-10-most-overlooked-women-in-architecture-history/#more-341730

Xpat Larki
    Participant

Anne Tyng is a spitting image of Naomi Watts. But I digress.

Cool read though:)

Coordinates
    Participant

I would like to thank you for sharing this information about overlooked women in the architecture history along with their images that too on the right occasion of “Women’s Day”. Today, women have their hands on in almost all areas of business, and they can never be overlooked, since they might be physically weak compared to men, but they are tactically and mentally strong compare to most men. 

Shavawn Coleman
    Participant

Coordinates, you are most welcome. I love reading and sharing things like this. I am still finding my way around the design field as a young professional and I love seeing how far women have come. Coincidentally, I came across this article in USA Today about women and making it to the top. Very interesting read! http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2013/03/10/facebook-google-sandberg-zuckerberg/1927887/

Tosh K
    Participant

I know the article is an architecture article, but…  Jane Jacobs?  Beatrix Farrand – Founding member of ASLA?   I suppose LAs were more progressive, starting out with Farrand and all.

Shavawn Coleman
    Participant

Tosh K, you are absolutely right. Maybe I need to write an article about the women in landscape architecture! I know on asla.org there is an article about them. Thanks for the great input!

Tosh K
    Participant

The film “Women in the Dirt” covering more contemporary practitioners on the West Coast is pretty amazing.  A more historic look would indeed be great.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register