A Museum of Landscape Architecture

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums PLACES & SPACES A Museum of Landscape Architecture

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Trace One
    Participant

Reading all these comments about graphics is reminding me of one of my pet ideas – how fun would it be to have a Museum of Landscape Architecture..Or does one already exist?..The curator would collect  historic drawings, like Olmstead’s Prospect Park competition drawings, landscape painting could be used to illustrate historical landscape styles..etc., etc..

I geuss one could do a virtual museum, but that wouldn’t be as fun.. The best initial thought is  hiring the architect to design the building, to be located on the national mall..

The temptation to wreak vengence on some famous starchitect might be too great..

Lori Molitor
    Participant

I’ve visited the National Academy of Design museum in New York when they were exhibiting the work of a landscape architect. It was December 2007. I don’t remember who the LA was, but I found it very interesting.

Boilerplater
    Participant

Have you ever gone to the Olmstead Nat’l Historic Site?

I hope this museum wont be an homage to a vanished cultural phenomenon!

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

He’d probably like it if we all spelled his name right. I’ve been guilty of it in the past, too.

Trace One
    Participant

I think i even looked it up, this time, Andrew..never sticks in my head, just never..oh well..

Boilerplater
    Participant

I thought it was Olmsted, but see, I defer to a U Penn grad’s spelling over mine!

Thomas J. Johnson
    Participant

That would be excellent! I’d also like to see Land Archs work spaces recreated with historic tools and drawings. It would be an interesting display to see desks from the mid-evil period, Renaissance, 1800’s, early 1900’s, 20’s, 40’s, 60’s, 80’s and today…

There are all kinds of things you could do with an L.A. museum… fun to think about…

Jason T. Radice
    Participant

They have had exhibits at the National Building Museum in Washington, DC, as well as at MoMa in NYC. Unfortunately, there is nothing permanent at either museum. I would love to see more permanent exhibits at the NBM, but much of the historic archietctureal obejects (models, plans and the like) are spread out among various museums such as MoMa.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register