Admissions Prep: First Professional MLArch

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums EDUCATION Admissions Prep: First Professional MLArch

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Erica Faulkenberry
    Participant

I’ve seen lots of great discussions concerning portfolios, but most have been geared towards people with a background in design/arch/la. Does anyone in a similar position have a portfolio they wouldn’t mind sharing, or advice on how to get a competitive portfolio together? I’m looking into taking community college classes for studio courses, but I would love to hear what classes/preparations other people felt were really great for putting together a portfolio, or were just nice to have under their belt.

I’d also love recommendations on a few books: landscape architecture histories to set the stage, and current theories/trends.

Andrew Spiering
    Participant

Hi Erica,

Great topic!  Thanks for using Land8 as a resource.  Check out Jennifer de Graaf’s blog… she has written several blog posts on the subject here on Land8.  Also, New School or Architecture + Design created a video, that I wrote about here, with some tips that are useful for folks without design experience.  

Hope this helps!

Chris Whitted
    Participant

You might also take a look at this thread if you haven’t already:

https://land8.com/forum/topics/portfolio-for-entry-to-mla-programme

Tosh K
    Participant

It’s about creative potential as much as interest: photography, botanical sketches (stuff from your basic community college arts classes).  Lay them out in a graphically thoughtful manner with a short paragraph on your thought process/post-production analysis of each work and it’ll be competitive.  The essay/letter-of-intent/letters of recommendations can often way more heavily for first professional degrees anyway.

Reading lists would differ depending on why you want to do LA but:

The Basics:

“Landscape Design: A Cultural and Architectural History” – Elizabeth Barlow Rogers

“Theory in Landscape Architecture: A Reader” – Simon Swaffield

“Recovering Landscape: Essays in Contemporary Landscape Architecture”: – James Corner

“The Language of Landscape”- Anne Spirn

For more fun:

Any of the collections of essays by John Brinkerhoff Jackson (cultural geographies), “Design for Ecological Democracy” by Randolph T Hester Jr

Tosh K
    Participant

Henry: Yeah, I’m not a fan of corner’s but it does get you knee deep and force you to learn the lingo (for better or for worse) and it does cover contemporary (albeit a decade old now) theory in a more general way than some of the other recent publications.  I did have a few classmates who did read it (backgrounds and strong theoretical interest in LA) prior to attending grad school, and I have to say they got more out of school than me.

I do like Treib (as a writer and lecturer).

Erica Faulkenberry
    Participant

Thanks, Andrew! The New School’s fun video definitely helps takes the edge of the whole process!

Erica Faulkenberry
    Participant

Tosh, thank you for sharing your perspective on the portfolio aspect & for the book recommendations.  I should probably start off with Rogers, but after reading the comments about Corner I’m eager for the challenge 🙂

Erica Faulkenberry
    Participant

Thanks Henry- especially for the note on price as a lot of books on LA are not cheap!

Tosh K
    Participant

I gotta say they’re doing quite well – they got more of the theory than the attitude out of corner’s writing 🙂

I do love Martha, learned a lot in the short internship I had there.

Tosh K
    Participant

Indeed, be prepared to do a lot of research to figure out some of the vocabulary; my only piece of advice is that understanding that a Brit is writing it can help crack some of the text.

Andrew Spiering
    Participant

Indeed… sometimes we forget that the process of designing should be fun!  

Andrew Spiering
    Participant

Yes, another great discussion on the topic!  Thanks for sharing @Chris

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register