Advice for a beginner in US

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Lens T
    Participant

Hello everyone!

First of all I have to say it was super great to discover this web site, which seems to help in so many ways in LA , and also it’s really impressing to see all those who reply and try to help with their experience to those who seek help/ information . Hope my post will attract some of those (-:

So, after this long foreword I’ll begin with explaining my situation.

I’m a young architect based in Israel, graduated almost 3 years ago with a B.Arch degree (after a 5 years of study) from the IIT (Israeli Institute of Technology also known as Technion). Since the graduation I’ve worked half a year in Urban Design field as a junior architect, 1 year in a Small Architecture Firm (Commercial, Interior design) and have been working almost for a year (till present) in a Landscape architecture firm as a junior designer. I really enjoy doing landscape design and I want to continue and stay in this field.

I’m about to move to US in the following year, and I’ve started to do some background checking on the demand for young landscape architects. Regardless the bad situation on the market ,and considering my background (explained above) I would like to know what chances do I have to get a job as a junior landscape architect? Should I continue my education (MLA ?) ?Will it increase my chances to find a desirable job?

Since US is a very big country I assume there’re areas with more/ less demand for the LA depending on the living style/ climate/ etc.. If that is so, which areas/cities are the better places to go? Is that true that West Coast = parks/ gardens/ private practice, East Coast = urban design/ big firms ?

Thanks you very much in advance for your replies!!

Douglas M. Rooney
    Participant

Lens T,

You should realize that the poor economy in the US is going to make finding a position very hard for you. Demand is very low for landscape architects right now. I have seen an increase in opportunities in the last 2 months, but there are many unemployed landscape architects in the US. Texas seems to have the best economy, followed by the Midwest and Mountain states. West coast and Northeast have the most unemployment right now. Larger cities have the most landscape architecture firms as well as planners and urban designers. In more rural areas, landscape architects are often part of multidisciplinary architecture or engineering firms. While it may seem counter-intuitive, you maybe be better off avoiding large coastal cities. While there are more opportunities there, there is way more competition. In San Francisco you might have 500 unemployed LAs for every available job, but in Madison, Wisconsin, you only have 20 unemployed for each job (better odds).

You should probably consider continuing you education. As someone who is educated as an architect, but working in landscape, I can tell you from personal experience it can be hard to get some people to take you seriously. I have actually been told that my MArch degree was not considered suficient education at some firms. I would probably not bother with an MLA, but you should consider degrees in planning, urban design, or maybe an environmental engineering degree with a focus in botany or ecology. These are all growing areas in the landscape field, especially habitat restoration and storm water management.

As a young person, the number one thing they will be looking for is impeccable computer skills. Most firms here use AutoCAD, with Sketchup or 3D Studio Max for 3D rendering. Some firms are going to Revit now, but I am not convinced this makes sense for LAs. If you want a job, be ready to show that you can crank out presentation quality drawings as well as construction documents on the computer quickly and with great accuracy.

The other thing you will be facing in this economy is prejudices. There is be many who think degrees from outside the US are not as good. There will be others that think experience in another country is too “different” to be of value. And to be completely frank, there will be many that just say, why would I hire someone from another country when I have hundreds of good Americans to choose from. There will be those that question if you would “fit in” culturally and socially. None of this is fair, but it is an employers economy right now and they are looking for cookie cutter PERFECTION for their new employees.

Best of luck to you….

Lens T
    Participant

Thank you, Henry.

I’ll gladly accept your help if I’ll decide to continue my education in The City College of New York.

Lens T
    Participant

Marie, I’m a GC holder. As far as I know that is similar to the citizenship in terms of employment. 

Am I missing something?

Lens T
    Participant

Douglas, Thank you very much for your reply! That was very helpful !

Lens T
    Participant

Thank you!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register