Advice in getting a teaching position

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums EDUCATION Advice in getting a teaching position

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello,

I am a recent MLA graduate interested in education (through teaching in LA programs/universities) along with working.  Does anyone have any advice on how to get connected to universities if you are moving to a new city?  
    Cheers,
    TJ Marston
    2009 MLA University of Pennsylvania
    John.Dallinga
    Participant

The best way I can think of is to contact the human resources or landscape architecture department directly. They may have adjunct positions open. Most full-time, associate professor positions these days require at minimum professional licensure and an MLA or BLA and masters in a related field (engineering, horticulture, environmental science). Individual colleges or universities may have other specific requirements as well.

Anonymous
    Inactive

John –

Thank you for that helpful information. I have noticed many universities do not post jobs, so it is good to confirm that the best way to find out is to call!!

Another question I have (for you or anyone else who has advice on this topic) is regarding technical schools / community colleges:

Are there many landscape architects out there teaching related courses (ie. drafting, drawing classes…etc.) at technical schools/community colleges? If so, what kind of coursework do you teach (ie. drafting, drawing classes…etc)? Do you find it fulfilling teaching students skills who are not on a BLA or MLA tract?

Thanks again for your help!

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

I don’t have a lot of faith that you will land a position by cold calling. Universities more often than not are required to post positions for a certain length of time in well circulated publications for fairness, much like a legal announcement. Many people stay connected to universities where they studied or near where they live and have an established rapport with the department which gives them an advantage when opportunities arise. Faculty are also human beings and are not beyond hiring previous acquaintances or just plain being more comfortable hiring people who they have work with.

There is also the Council of Educators of Landscape Architecture (CELA) that may be a good place to contact.

There are often postings on the ASLA jobs board.

Brent Jacobsen
    Participant

Great question TJ – I would be interested in hearing others opinions as well. I graduated with my MLA a year ago now, but am also interested in teaching at some point as an adjunct or full-time prof. I know that in addition to CELA and ASLA, there is a good listserv (affiliated with CELA I think) that usually has almost every teaching position posted to it at some point. Most of them are full-time, tenure track positions, but they at least might give you some places to start. The listserv is at:

http://listserv.syr.edu/archives/larch-l.html

Signing up for it is kind of a weird interface, but you should be able to join. Good luck.

nca
    Participant

I feel like I’ve seen several teaching position openings advertised in the past few months on ASLA’s job board and elsewhere. I know CSU was hiring at one point recently.

A little off topic, but in what aspaect of the profession do you see yourselves teaching? What interests you?

Nice website Brent. Did you build it yourself?

NR-

I don’t think so, but you do need an MLA to be a full time professor.

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

Most of mine never left the university world other than for part time associations with private firms (for resume?). The ones that did get real world experience were more demanding of discipline. Maybe from their backgrounds, or maybe it was their nature, I really don’t know.

nca
    Participant

I’ll let my absence of commentary here be my comment.

David D. Pearson
    Participant

Typically, for a permanent/tenure track position, there has to be a national search advertised on websites, professional journals, etc. I would recommend looking at the following websites:
    CELA
    EDRA
    ASLA

Most of the deadlines have already passed, but you never know if something will open up.

As for getting connected to universities – I would volunteer to sit in on studio reviews. It’s a great way to get to know the faculty.

Best of luck to you.

Anonymous
    Inactive

This is all really helpful information. Thanks everyone.

Nick – to answer your question: I am interested in media/representation courses(drawing, video, digital fabrication). I would love to teach studio coherently with media and have the opportunity to integrate the two in an unconventional way.

James Sipes
    Participant

There are three things to do … (1) be active in local LA chapters, volunter, and get to know professionals in the area. For univerisities, volunteer to be a guest juror, or to help coordinate an event. The key is for people to get to know you. (2) Go to local universities and meet the professors and admin. Let them know you are interested. Have a good resume to leave. (3) If you are interested in a tenure-track position, start doing the “little things” … write, volunteer, do research, stay involved, and get any kind of experience teaching that you can. Then, when a position opens, do your homework …

Hope that helps.

Cliff See
    Participant

ha-ha,,, that is funny!
    -cliff

Cliff See
    Participant

hi there.. beyond networking, you may also want to try teaching at the ‘extension’ courses at your local college. Here in Berkeley we have UC Extension… college courses that offer certificates and classes in many areas including landscape arch/design and community colleges too… some schools may call these adult courses and what not.
    The point would be to gain actual experience in teaching… I too would like to share knowledge to students, on the creative front of the profession if possible, so i have been looking into the extension program.
    (did some substitute teaching at local high schools, which was rewarding, but not easy to say the least)…
    -cliff

James Sipes
    Participant

… also, I hate to say this, but even in landscape architecture a PhD is required for many teaching positions. If you want to teach, you may want to seriously consider that route, especially in this day and age where jobs are few and far between.

Amber Artz
    Participant

Found this job posting on LinkedIN…thought I’d send it to you.

Visiting Contract Faculty Position, Department of Landscape Architecture, Ball State University

VISITING CONTRACT FACULTY POSITION
    DEPARTMENT OF LANDSCAPE ARCHITECTURE
    BALL STATE UNIVERSITY
    MUNCIE, INDIANA

Contract faculty position available August 20, 2010. Responsibilities: teaching landscape architecture courses at inter-disciplinary, undergraduate and graduate professional program levels, scholarly activities; service. Minimum qualifications: 1) terminal professional degree in landscape architecture OR terminal degree in an allied profession OR BLA degree in landscape architecture from an accredited program in landscape architecture with contiguous professional practice as a licenses landscape architect at a senior level for at least five years; 2) demonstrate capability to teach in design studio; developed expertise/capacity to teach in at least two of the following support areas of expertise—plant identification, site engineering/construction technologies; design communications (digital and hand-drawn techniques); digital applications, including GIS; research and design methodologies; history and design theory; and design implementation; 3) demonstrate capability to engage in the scholarship of the discipline and profession. Preferred qualifications: Ph.D. in landscape architecture or related discipline with an established research agenda; ten years of experience in landscape architectural practice (public or private); expertise in plant materials and digital media; studio teaching experience in an accredited landscape architecture program.

Send letter of application, vita/resume, names and contact information for three references, and official transcripts to: Jody Rosenblatt Naderi, Chairperson, Department of Landscape Architecture, Ball State University, Muncie, IN 47306. (Tel: 765-285-1971; Fax: 765-285-1983; Email: jrnaderi@bsu.edu) Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. (http://www.bsu.edu/landscape)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register