Advice on starting a Masters programs in The Netherlands, Belgium or Germany?

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums EDUCATION Advice on starting a Masters programs in The Netherlands, Belgium or Germany?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    CassieNichols
    Participant

I am thinking about doing my Master’s (either Landscape Arch or Enviro Planning) in The Netherlands, Belgium or Germany.  Does anyone know how to get started looking into this?  I’m finishing up my second Bachelor’s next Spring in LA.  Any advice?

Boilerplater
    Participant

I suggest you talk to this guy: http://www.land8lounge.com/profile/AlexPriest as he’s already there. I’ve thought about studying in the Netherlands as I have family there and it would be interesting to reconnect with my cultural roots, but I have thus far lacked the nerve to do it! When I was in college, I met this grad student from Wagenigen Agricultural University who was doing some semester abroad study at my school, (Rutgers, Cook College). Anyway, Wagenigen is supposed to have a good program. Do you speak Dutch?

CassieNichols
    Participant

Thank you for your help! I have just started to think about this as a possibility… we will see where I end up. As for the Dutch, I’ve just started learning. From what I can see, I will just need a basic understanding if I attend an international school.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I visited Wagenigen and the MLA is conducted in English.  The BLA is conducted in Dutch.  It is fine to speak English only if doing the MLA.  Their program is very highly regarded in Europe.  I recommend looking into Wagenigen.

ALEX P
    Participant

The NL is the best country in the world, obviously, because of the their conceptual/intellectual approach to design.  I recommend reading the book False Flat.  It is a good overview of dutch design, and their mentality.  Belgium is just a NL/France wannabe, and Germany was soo 1930’s (BauHaus).

ALEX P
    Participant

The university of Delft has an infamous design program as well.

I’m currently doing the MLA at the Wageningen University. Wageningen started as a agricultural university and this left traces in the current MLA program. Focus lays on (Dutch) rural areas. Much emphasis is laid on analysis on social/cultural, ecological, economic, political and  meanings and aesthetic values. The design process is based on a problem solving approach. Delft is more focussed on the urban environment with a great emphasis on social/cultural and has a more ‘art-based’ approach.

The masters in Wageningen and Delft are fully thought in English. Outside of the universities you will be perfectly fine with the English language. In fact a lot of (younger) people in the Netherlands have English as their second language.

Most important is to think what you want to learn and discuss your wishes with the study-advisors of the different masters.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register