Alternates to AutoCAD….Vectorworks?

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums TECHNOLOGY Alternates to AutoCAD….Vectorworks?

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

Anthony,

Bricscad is one of the Intellicads. It is dwg and I’ve never seen anything funky with those files when in the CE office. If I needed full Acad, that is what I would get. You used to be able to run Carlson Survey software over it, but I think Autodesk got Carlson to not work with them anymore, but I’m not sure on that. It does lisp routines as well. They are usually a little behind on the latest and greatest tweaks to AutoCAD, but pretty close.

Joe Salemi
    Participant

Anthony – I’d like to invite you to take a look at DynaSCAPE Design. There is a great integration with AutoCAD up to 2016. It is an alternative to AutoCAD that is 100% landscape specific. (http://www.dynascape.com/design)

Mike Shilton
    Participant

Anthony,

I am a landscape architect but will declare upfront my interest, as I am also Product Director at Keysoft Solutions who develop KeySCAPE landscape software. 

In 2015 we acquired LandCADD and will soon be releasing a version that brings the best of both applications into a single, harmonized solution that will provide the springboard for significant future development. We offer both a version for full versions of AutoCAD (not LT) and a standalone version that is powered by the AutoCAD (2016) OEM engine, which we license from Autodesk. As such, you do not need AutoCAD to run the application and it opens and saves in native DWG formats. We offer both perpetual and term-based (rental) options.

Take a look at http://us.keysoftsolutions.com where you can request a trial download.

Robert Anderson
    Participant

Anthony,

As others have posted Draftsight is okay but not, dare I say, as good as Autodesk. I use it just to check out files that I have exported or intend to reference into VW Landmark. If you do decide to sign up for service select with VW there support staff is always on top of things and they are very helpful. Heck I even try to stump them and can’t.

I’ve assisted other firms with training and migration from Autodesk to VW, so if you do decide to move on from the old and into the new let me know. Best of all you will save money as you will not need to maintain sketchup or Rhino as with 2016 you can everything those packages do and in some cases better.

Good luck with the practice!

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register