Ansel Adams & WPA Tour 9/10/10 in DC

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION Ansel Adams & WPA Tour 9/10/10 in DC

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Back in June, LAM had a short article about the Department of Interior
    building in Washington DC and their newly unearthed collection of Ansel
    Adams National Park photographs from 1937-1941.

Since I would be in DC anyway, I arranged a tour of the collection for Friday morning 9/10 at 9:30
    a.m.  The tour takes about an hour or so and includes their Ansel Adams
    stuff, WPA murals, WPA sculpture courtyards and depending on the
    contractors work schedule, their newly installed green roof.  The DOI is
    located at: 1849 c street, nw which is at the south west corner of C Street and
    Virginia Ave just north of the mall and a couple blocks west of the White House. 

Are any other land8loungers interested in joining me and several other Morgan State University graduate students for the tour??

If you are interested get back to me at Gshuffs@yahoo.com to confirm.

Gerrit

Anonymous
    Inactive

The tour was wonderful. We didn’t get the chance to check out the courtyard or the green roof and instead spent so much time on the WPA murals. The Ansel Adams work was neat but it seemed like it was kind of added to the building, (which it was) and not fully integrated into the building like the murals were.

In the late 1930’s when the building was being built the artists worked along side the carpenters, plumbers and electricians. It felt like the artistic statements were integral to the architecture. For example, so many long hallways ended in huge, original murals painted into the plaster. Check out the attached image titled “Construction of the Dam” by William Gropper which was on axis with one of the long hallways. The image fully filled the ending wall and was nearly life size. The “red” influences were hilarious as well. Check out the hammer and sickle references though out the image including the red hankee in the guys pocket on the far right, the sickle shaped into the wood bracket and the hammers, which were scaled down for the final image due to political pressure.

If anyone else wants to jump on a tour you have reserve it a couple weeks in advance. Call Diane Zeigler at 202-208-4743 to make arrangements.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register