Anyone have experience with plant material in Chengdu City China?

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums PLANTS & HORTICULTURE Anyone have experience with plant material in Chengdu City China?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mike Mann
    Participant

My firm was just awarded a large urban project in Chengdu City in the Sichuan province and I have been asked to gather information on the plant material that is primarily used in that area. We have worked in the Shanghai area and have visited & compiled lists of the plants that do well there but we are completely new to the Chengdu City location. We will be leaving to visit the site next week but want to come to the startup meeting prepared. Anyone have any suggestions where to find what plants do well there especially for urban type settings? Thanks

Tim Zhang
    Participant

the city is big on osmanthus trees, last year they planted 1000 of them along certain streets.

Ficus microcarpa is quite common too. Various pine trees do well too, but be careful about using them in certain areas because chinese tend to associate those with graveyard.. probably because they use them to screen the graveyards from public.

if you have a mandarin reader, have them look at http://www.cdbpw.chengdu.gov.cn/

thats the government website on landscape planning, a lot of good information

Mike Mann
    Participant

Thanks for the info and the link Tim! This is just what I needed.

Tim Zhang
    Participant

No problem, glad to help. Good luck on your project.

Jay Smith
    Participant

Mike, is there much demand over there right now for L.A.’s coming out of the United States?

Mike Mann
    Participant

There does seem to be a fair amount of work coming out of China and many of the larger American architectural firms we work with have set up offices in China to better their chances of being considered for projects, however, just like here, it’s still very competitive. Our landscape firm has been fortunate to pick up a few large scale jobs in China this past year, but I think our experience of having done work in the past there and having a few people on our team who are fluent in Mandarin helped greatly.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register