Architecture – Environment – Money

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums DETAILS & MATERIALS Architecture – Environment – Money

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Alessandro
    Participant

Hi guys

I’ve just starting working with an architecture firm in the south of Switerzald, and i’m facing the problems about the realisation of a building which i would like to design starting from the principles of sustainability, ecology and respect for the environment.
    The problems refers to the expensive costs of ecologic materials.
    Which are, in your opinion, the best materials for insulation, walls and facade covers  comparing their sustainable features and their cost? Any examples?
    I know that the answer is not so easy and it could depend on where does the project have to be realised, which materials exists in that area etc, but I would be interested in read your general opinions 🙂
    Hope to start a good discussion
    Ale
    Thomas J. Johnson
    Participant

I would look to the materials that were used to build in that region, say, 100, 200, 500 & 1000 years ago. People used to naturally build with the principals of sustainability, ecology and respect for the environment by using the materials that were readily available to them. The forms of their structures were informed by the environment as well with features such as steep roofs where there’s heavy snowfalls, houses on stilts where it floods, thick walls where one needs insulation, etc. etc.

People over think things today. We’ve over intellectualized our built environment. It’s really not that complicated…

You might also want to refine your principles. Sustainability, Ecology, and respect for the environment all say the same thing in my mind. Pick one of those and define what that means related to your specific site. By doing this, you will also find the answers to those questions within your site…

Alessandro
    Participant

Thank you for your reply Thomas.
    I know the importance of using “autochthonous” materials, but the problem i was referring is that sometimes them are more expensive than others coming from a different region.
    The concept of sustainability is often again the economical concepts but i was wondering what people think could be a good intermediation beetween them.
    Sometimes it’s not easy to build following those principles if the client don’t got so much money for it’s home.
    You say that Sustainability, Ecology, and respect for the environment means the same thing but i think there are some differences:
    sustainability refers not only to environment but also to social conditions: it means to guarantee to people not only the possibility to live in a safe environment but also to guarantee them the possibility to live respecting their natural needs (socialization etc.)
    ecology mainly refers to the use of natural resources: the use of stones and rocks, for example, which are natural resources, could be a bad idea in a place where could be better use wood because of it big presence
    respect for the environment means the mix of sustainability, ecology and architectural choices: a building could be considered sustainable, made with ecologic materials, but not respectful to the environment if, for example, it has been destroyed a slope to built it, or blocked a river etc.

Hope that you can understand my bad english 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register